Finals Are Finished, Reward Yourself!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

The time has finally come! For the first time in months, you can stop worrying about homework, essays that you have to write, and studying for tests. Final exams are over, presentations have been made, essays have been submitted, and you still have a few days left on campus before your parents come to pick you up for winter break. Take advantage of this time off before starting your seasonal job back home, and reward yourself for all of the hard work you have put into the fall semester.

1.) Get your holiday shopping done for friends, family, and yourself.

As I have gotten older and have had my own money to spend around the holidays, I definitely enjoy giving as much as getting gifts for Christmas. My shopping addiction actually has a purpose between Black Friday and Christmas Eve, and there is nothing better than getting something for your best friend or mom that you know she has been wanting all year. Shopping with a purpose is a great way to de-stress after finals. It isn’t called retail therapy for nothing. Getting a little something (or a big something, depending on your budget) for yourself isn’t a crime either. Now that the secret is out about Santa, someone needs to get us what we really want for Christmas!

2.) Plan a holiday party with your school friends.

Secret Santa’s, Yankee Swaps, or even just a night out to eat with your close friends at school is a great way to end the semester. It gives you a night out to look forward to, with friends who you may not be seeing for the next month off while getting in the holiday spirit. Setting a budget of $10-$25 for Secret Santa gifts is also a good way to exchange gifts with all of your friends, without having to buy every single person a present. Last year my friends and I chose a fancy restaurant in the North End for our holiday dinner and Secret Santa. It was fun to get dressed up and go out for our last night in the city together until January! 

3.) Find out about holiday-themed activities on-campus.

Every year Suffolk has a Winter Ball at the end of the semester to reward students for all of the hard work they have done over the semester. The dining halls always have holiday meals during finals week as well, including the Midnight Breakfast, which was definitely a student favorite last year. Attending something fun and free on campus is a great way to unwind and lift your spirits, and there is always the possibility of meeting new friends to look forward to seeing second semester.

4.) Have your own “25 days of Christmas” movie marathon.

Where you may not have 25 days to spend watching your favorite holiday films, chances are you have hours of free time on your hands, compared to the last few (busiest) weeks of the semester. What better way to relax than to cuddle up on your couch with your roommates, cozy socks, and a cup of hot chocolate, and watch some of the best movies ever made. The Grinch, Polar Express, and Elf are all on my list of movies to watch once the semester is over. Bonus points to whoever brings the snowman slice and bake cookies!

5.) Go ice skating.

Last year Suffolk held a “Suffolk on Ice” night at Frog Pond that gave Suffolk students a chance to go skating at a discounted rate. Although this event isn’t happening again this year, Frog Pond has discounted prices for every school in the city on Tuesday nights. With the Christmas music playing through the speakers, and the giant Christmas tree lit in the commons, there is nothing more festive and fun than a night of ice skating with some friends once finals are over. Luckily for students who live on campus at Suffolk, the Frog Pond is located right in your front yard, in the heart of downtown Boston!

6.) Get your nails and/or hair done.

The second you get home it is officially the season of holiday parties. When reuniting with old friends and family members who you haven’t seen for a while, why not be looking your best? Getting a little makeover, or even just your nails done, is an excellent way to kick-off the holiday vacation. Not only will you look good, but also a day at the salon is a relaxing reward that every girl enjoys. I recommend a gel manicure, so that your pretty nails last until Christmas, if you are lucky!

7.) Go for the peppermint mocha with a corresponding sweet treat at Starbucks.

Rewarding yourself is all about indulgence. Once you complete your last final, skip the “skinny” latte business, and finally treat yourself to an Eggnog Latte and one of those mouth watering cake pops you have been staring at in the Starbucks display case the past 11 months. Bikini season is months away, ladies. Worry about making it to the gym another day, and give your taste buds a gift.

8.) Do something crafty.

Us girls all wish we had the time and energy to create some of the beautiful crafts and desserts shown on Pinterest. Now that our schedules have opened up, why not? Find a couple of D.I.Y.’s that you have re-pinned recently, and make them a reality. This is a great way to spend time with a group of friends before heading home, as well as a productive way to spend your own time if your friends and roommates have already left for break. Arts & Crafts are extra-rewarding if you make them for people, especially those in need. Find out if hospitals in the area are taking gift donations for children who may be ill and may need some cheering up. Lauren Conrad recently blogged about a website called www.Cardsforhospitalizedkids.com , which is a great organization aimed at cheering up kids in hospitals over the holidays with personalized greeting cards.

9.) Style your holiday wardrobe.

Get excited about the parties that you have coming up in the next month! We wait all year to be able to wear ugly Christmas sweaters with our friends and all-sequined dresses on New Years. Splurge and treat yourself to a few new outfits to look forward to wearing on these special days that only come once a year. If you don’t have a lot of money to spend on a new outfit, use and style what you have, and figure out what hairstyles and makeup you want to test out for the most wonderful time of the year. If the sparkly dress is too much for your style, check out the more affordable stores to scope out what special accessories they may be featuring around this time of year. Check out which accessories and shoes you may be able to borrow from your friends’ closets, as well. No better time to propose a closet swap than when everyone is in a giving mood!

Enjoy the time that you have off to spend doing things that relax you and put a smile on your face. They give us a month-long break for a reason, and spring semester will be here before we know it!

Name: Julie GrasseyMajor: Public Relations and JournalismAcademic year: 2015A lover of all things fashion, live music, Starbucks, photography, dancing, playing guitar, Cheez-its, and reading my daily horoscope, I am currently a junior at Suffolk University in Boston. Other than being a full time student and HerCampus contributer, I am also a blogger and campus representative for Rent the Runway, as well as an intern for the Boston Ballet! My goal is to move to New York City after graduation and get a job planning events or styling photo shoots for a major fashion magazine or designer. This is my second semester writing for the News and Blog section of HerCampus Suffolk! 
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.