Fashion Blog: Must-Have Pieces & Colors to Update Your Fall 2012 Wardrobe (and where to find them)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

When it comes down to it, having a trendy closet can be expensive for a college girl’s budget! So weed through what you have from last year, and add a few critical pieces and accessories to update your look for this Fall 2012 season. Knowing the hottest colors for this season, you can easily update your look by adding necklaces, scarves, belts, and shoes to existing items you already have in your closet. And the best part is, new accessories make an outfit look completely fresh and brand new…without spending all of the money in your wallet! According to designers from fashion week, the Fall 2012 colors are:

Bright Chartreuse (works well paired with jade green and tangerine tango)
Pink Flambé
Tangerine Tango
Ultramarine Green
(a deep, cooling, blue-green)
Rhapsody (a greyish purple)
Honey Gold
Olympian Blue
French Roast
(an alternative to black/charcoal)
Titanium (a cool grey)
Rose Smoke (soft, pale, rose tone; goes well with titanium and rhapsody listed above)

Always remember, not everyone can wear every color. Decide what looks best with your skin tone. Maybe you can’t wear a blouse in one of the above colors, but you can probably accessorize with a scarf or necklace of one of those colors, paired with a shirt or dress that you already have, to recreate the entire look. As you are shopping around, keep the above colors in mind. And while you’re at it, the items listed below are staple items you must have in your closet this season!

Sweater dress: Great with high leather boots. This amazing piece can be purchased for $69.50 at Victoria’sSecret. Wear it with black, brown, or charcoal boots and you’re good to go for a night out with the girls! This look is extremely cozy and trendy at the same time.

Fitted denim jacket: This is the new alternative to wear over a dress or a tank, tucked into colored pants. Nota replacement for the cardigan, just a trendy change. This great find can be purchased at Forever 21, for just $24.80.

Trench Raincoat: Not too long, but not too short either. If you can find a fitted one that happens to have a hood, go for it! This can be found at Victoria’s Secret, for $158.

The Leather Boot: A great pair of boots is a necessity this season. Put it with a pair of dark jeans and fittedtop and you have an easy and cute outfit! These can be found for $229 at Urban Outfitters.

Great fitting Skinny Jeans: Who doesn’t love a sexy, stretchy, and fitted pair of skinny jeans to tuck into boots? $69.95 at Gap.

Little Black Dress: A must for every season! Dress it up with jewels and neon pumps, dress it down with adenim jacket and leather boots. $44, Francesca’s.

Chiffon Tie Top: This top can be worn with light distressed jeans, or even tucked into a cute skirt! $39.50, Delia’s.

Accessories: From chunky jewelry, to clutches, to headbands and scarves…in every color of the season! These items can be found everywhere. Some favorite places to find them are: Etsy.com, Francesca’s, Macy’s, Stella & Dot, J. Crew, Tory Burch, and Nordstrom.
My name is Alexa Mellardo and I am currently a sophomore and Broadcast Journalism major at Suffolk University, located in the heart of one of the most charming cities in the world: Boston. A passionate journalist, I am fortunate to be doing what I love to do….writing! When I’m not composing articles for two awesome online publications (hercampus.com and also collegefashionista.com) and attending classes, I intern at a trendy magazine in the city. In between, I love to shop and spend time with my friends and my boyfriend. I have two addictions: shopping and cupcakes. In light of that, what better place to be than just blocks away from Newbury Street, Charles Street and Quincy Market? My quaint, vintage brownstone apartment in Beacon Hill is where my two best friends and I keep it strictly classy and fashionable. We turned our apartment into a comfy fashionable haven, and we enjoy relaxing and entertaining our friends. Living in such an awesome city provides a wealth of opportunity, fun, and culture to embrace. My dream is to one day be a respected, well-known broadcast journalist.