Fall Album Releases You Might Have Missed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Arctic Monkeys, AM – September 6: These northern Englanders are out with their fifth album on and arguably their best one yet. Recorded in California, AM contains “some of the band’s heaviest and most bold-sounding work” according to iTunes, with captivating melodies and background beats inspired by Dr. Dre. Each song is delivered confidently by the Arctic Monkeys with their signature “charismatic nonchalance,” and ‘Arabella’ is evidence of this. AM is full of energetic tracks with great lyrics, and the nearly self-titled album suggests these four boys from Sheffield, England have mastered their sound. The band is certainly better known in England than in America, but after this album, things are likely to change. If you’ve never heard of them, give them a listen- lead singer Alex Turner’s rock star charm and good looks should be reason enough to.

Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High?

Grouplove, Spreading Rumours – September 17: This LA based band recently released their second album, Spreading Rumours, two years after their first, Never Trust A Happy Song. They’re known for their goofy lyrics and alternative, indie pop, dance music that is good for any mood. If you haven’t already, make sure to check out Grouplove; I promise you won’t regret it.

Ways to Go

Kings of Leon, Mechanical Bull – September 20: Grammy Award winning Nashville based band Kings of Leon released their first of now six albums in 2003, but they’re still going strong 10 years later. Their brand new album Mechanical Bull has already been a huge success on iTunes, and features hits like “Supersoaker”, “Beautiful War” and “Wait For Me”. It includes songs with the same rock punch heard in their earlier hits like “Sex On Fire”, but with updated with a lighter and interesting flare. KOL has been referred to as “the great American arena band”, and this proves even truer with this new release.

Wait For Me

Drake, Nothing Was the Same – September 24: He started from the bottom, now he’s here. Canadian rapper Drake just released his third studio album, Nothing Was the Same. In all seriousness, “Started From The Bottom” was a huge hit single, as are “Hold On, We’re Going Home”, “All Me”, and “Pound Cake”. The album features Majid Jordan, Jhene Aiko, Detail, Jay Z, 2 Chainz and Big Sean. Hip Hop sites praise Drake for his newest release, saying, “After four years in the game, Drake sets out to prove that all of the predictions about him being the best are true”. 

Hold On We’re Going Home

HAIM, Days are Gone – September 27: Most often compared to 70’s soft-rock gurus Fleetwood Mac, these three sisters from San Fernando Valley, California, have just come out with their debut album and are already getting lots of attention in the charts. The trio beat Justin Timberlake’s 20/20 Experience 2 of 2 and landed a spot at Number One as the UK’s best album. They are signed with Jay- Z’s Roc Nation management group, have gained attention from a handful of celebrities and have supported acts such as Mumford & Sons, Florence and the Machine, Of Monsters and Men, Ke$ha, and Julian Casablancas of The Strokes. Este, Danielle and Alana Haim have revealed that they are big fans of 90’s girl groups like Destiny’s Child and TLC, along with more contemporary R&B and hip-hop artists. This album is full of folk-rock with clear ‘70’s- ‘80’s influences and some pop/R&B influence for good measure. With their unique sound and initial success in the industry and general public, this band is definitely one to watch.

The Wire

Lorde, Pure Heroine – September 27: Up and coming New Zealand artist Lorde (born Ella Yelich-O’Connor) has just released her first album, Pure Heroine. Her song “Royals” topped the charts and was the first song by a female artist to be number one on the Billboard Alternative Chart in 17 years. The craziest part?! She’s only 16. Policymic.com writes, “Lorde’s clear, soulful vocals and relevant, self-written songs are surefire indicators that she has an exciting future ahead of her. A fan of minimalist sound, her straightforward vocal work is reminiscent of contemporaries like Florence Welch and Lana Del Ray, though it is compounded by smooth harmonies”. Anyone who hasn’t already checked out Lorde needs to immediately. Below is her song “Tennis Court” from Pure Heroine.

Tennis Court

Justin Timberlake, The 20/20 Experience Part II– September 30: Justin Timberlake, the heartthrob of our generation, is bringing sexy back … again. Seven years after FutureSex/LoveSounds, Justin has finally released his entire double-length album, The 20/20 Experience. We absolutely loved Part I that was released back in March and have been patiently awaiting Part II for months. The full collection of songs includes hits such as “Mirrors”, “Suit & Tie”, and “Take Back the Night”. This new music of his is described by iTunes as having “sharp execution and a captivating retro-future aesthetic”, and features both Drake and Jay-Z. 

Take Back The Night

[pagebreak]

Miley Cyrus, Bangerz – October 8th: Miley Cyrus decided on “We Can’t Stop” as her first single from Bangerz because she knew that no one would be able to stop listening to her album. But it seriously is awesome. Unlike Miley’s crazy performance on the VMAs, Bangerz is a reminder that she can actually sing well. “#GETITRIGHT” and “Maybe You’re Right” are standout tracks on the album. It’s definitely worth a buy.

Wrecking Ball

Panic! At The Disco, Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die – October 8th: Panic! At The Disco is finally back with a new album, and they are better than ever.  The album, Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die, is a new sound for the group, but doesn’t stray too far from their original sound. The second song the duo released from the album, “This Is Gospel” is easily their best song to date. The album released on October 8th and is also being streamed on YouTube.

This Is Gospel

Cassadee Pope, Frame by Frame – October 8th: After being named “The Voice” winner for season three, Cassadee Pope started recording her new album. Frame by Frame would be her first album ever in the country genre, which will be a change of pace for her long time fans—most of who can’t get over the fact that Hey Monday broke up. This album will be a great buy for any country fans or fans of Cassadee herself.

Wasting All These Tears

Fall Out Boy, PAX AM Days – October 15th: Fall Out Boy fans have already had a great year due to the band coming off hiatus and releasing Save Rock and Roll. Luckily for Fall Out Boy fans, the year is not over yet. The four piece pop punk band will be releasing an EP featuring eight new songs. The EP is was released on October 15th.

Love, Sex, Death

Journalism student in Boston / Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk. I'm into politics, pop music, and parks. I tweet about TV and lipstick. @nikkimfell