The Evolution of Lady Gaga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

We can all agree that Lady Gaga is one of the most daring and controversial artists that our generation has ever seen. Since her big break in 2008, she’s never been afraid to speak her mind or be her true unique self. Gaga’s style is constantly changing whether it be the kind of music that she’s making or the clothes that she’s wearing. Though she has toned her theatrics down tremendously over these last few years, there are a few iconic looks she’s rocked that are simply unforgettable. Without further ado, I give you the evolution of Lady Gaga.

2008/2009                       

2008 & 2009 Lady Gaga seriously makes me question if she had a thing for geometry. In ’08 (top), most of Gaga’s dresses involved massive clumps of triangular prism shapes hanging from the bottom left side of the dress and off the shoulder. Gaga also was known for her pin straight, long blonde locks and bangs. In ’09 (bottom), Gaga stepped up the shape game when she debuted this pointy, triangular face mask at the VMA’s. I have to say, it reminds me a bit of a sea anemone.

2010/2011

2010 & 2011 were easily Gaga’s craziest and most iconic outfit looks yet. I like to call it her “statement piece” phase. She stepped out in all sorts of outfits with big objects on them that were made out of wacky, odd shapes (top). Some had bubbles, another even had stuffed Kermit’s on it. However, the most shocking was her dress made entirely out of raw meat that she debuted at the 2010 VMA’s (bottom).

2012/ 2013

I call 2012 & 2013 Gaga’s “edgy phase”. Her looks were still dramatic, but much less theatrical. She sported a lot of dark looks during this time whether it be wearing sunglasses during appearances or rocking outfits made entirely out of leather (top). In 2013 she let the darkness rule her style by turning in her bleach blonde hair for sleek, black hair (bottom).

2014-now

Since 2014, Gaga’s looks have been absolutely flawless. Her style has transformed from wacky and over-the-top to timeless and classy. She returned to her bleach-blonde locks and always steps out on the red carpet looking stunning in beautiful gowns. Although I sometimes miss the thrill of seeing what Gaga would wear next, this look is most definitely my favorite. She’s kept this trend for three years, but with Gaga style is never permanently consistent, and I can’t help but wonder, what’s next?

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.