This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

The 71st Emmy Awards took place this past Sunday, September 22nd, at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles and this years’ celebration was extremely memorable in more ways than one. Just in case you were unable to catch the show live, here are seven of the best moments from the ceremony.

Image Credit: PopSugar

1. Michelle Williams made an empowering speech about pay inequality. She thanked Fox for paying her equally, and encouraged the television/film industry to “…listen to her [and] believe her” when it comes to what women, especially women of color, need to succeed in the workplace. 

2. Billy Porter made history by being the first openly gay black man to win outstanding lead actor in a drama series.

3. Jodie Comer beat out her co-star, Sandra Oh, for best actress in a drama. Both women star in the thriller series Killing Eve; Oh portrays Eve, a spy who is tasked with hunting down Comer’s character Villanelle, a psychopathic killer.

Image Credit: Us Weekly

4. Kim Kardashian and Kendall Jenner (unintentionally) made the audience laugh while presenting an award. “Our family knows first hand how truly compelling television comes from real people just being themselves,” Kim stated, referring to the family’s reality series Keeping Up With The Kardashians. The audience laughed at the suggestion of the show being “unfiltered and unscripted.”

5. Rupaul’s Drag Race won best reality-competition program, and during his acceptance speech, Rupaul encouraged, “Thanks to the Academy for voting for us, because we love you for that, and speaking of voting and love, go and register to vote!”

6. Game of Thrones won the award for best drama. Regardless of its controversial final season, Game of Thrones had 14 nominations and walked away with two wins.

Image Credit: People Magazine

7. Zendaya attended and wore this dress and the internet is still shook!

Zoe in her second year at Suffolk University, and she is majoring in English Literature. She is originally from Fairfield, CT. In her free time, she enjoys thrifting, trying new restaurants around Boston, and participating in the Her Campus Trendsetters program. She is extremely excited to be an active contributor to Her Campus Suffolk!