Didn’t Watch the 2020 Grammys? Here’s What You Missed 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

The Grammys this year were somewhat somber. The ceremony took place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, just hours after beloved basketball star Kobe Bryant and eight others, including his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, died in a helicopter crash.

Although many musicians noted that this tragedy made the usual night of celebration bittersweet, the show still had moments of levity.

Here’s a recap of some of the show’s best moments.

1. Lizzo opened the show with a bang: This years most nominated artist, with eight nominations and three wins, kicked off the ceremony by dedicating her performance to the late Kobe Bryant, announcing “This one’s for Kobe,” ahead of her performance of “Cuz I Love You.” 

Image Credit: Variety

2. Stars dedicated performances to Prince and Nipsey Hussle: Early on in the show, Usher, FKA Twigs, and Prince’s longtime friend and collaborator Sheila E. came together to sing some of Prince’s greatest hits. Later on, Meek Mill, Roddy Rich, John Legend, DJ Khaled, Kirk Franklin and YG remembered Nipsey Hussle with a powerful group performance. 

Image Credit: Los Angeles Times

3. Demi Lovato returned to the stage: Just four days before her almost fatal overdose in 2018, Demi Lovato recorded a the song “Anyone,” which was obviously a cry for help. She delivered her first performance since her hospitalization, which brought both her and the audience to tears. 

The crowd gave her a standing ovation.

Image Credit: www.InsideNoVa.com 

4. Lil Nas X performs with BTS, Mason Ramsey, Billy Ray Cyrus, and full-sized Nas: No song has come close to dominating the charts in 2019 like Lil Nas X’s “Old Time Road.” The performance was pure chaos, but in the best way possible, embodying exactly what makes the Record of the Year nominee so one-of-a-kind.

Image Credit: Elite Daily

5. Billie Elish couldn’t understand why she won so many Grammys: At the young age of 18-years-old, Eilish picked up five of the six Grammys for which she was nominated. “We stand up here confused and grateful,” her brother, producer, and songwriting partner Finneas said as the siblings accepted one of their awards. In her acceptance speech for Record of the Year, Eilish said she thought Ariana Grande deserved the honor. The camera panned to Grande shaking her head at Eilish, and the two shared a sweet hug backstage after the ceremony was over. 

Image Credit: Yahoo Money

Zoe in her second year at Suffolk University, and she is majoring in English Literature. She is originally from Fairfield, CT. In her free time, she enjoys thrifting, trying new restaurants around Boston, and participating in the Her Campus Trendsetters program. She is extremely excited to be an active contributor to Her Campus Suffolk!