This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Even if you have never heard about it or have no idea of what it is about, The Devil All the Time is one of the most talked about Netflix films of 2020. With a stacked cast of actors (Tom Holland, Sebastian Stan, Robert Pattinson, the list goes on), the film attracted a lot of attention. It is based on the novel of the same name by Donald Ray Pollock, containing both religious and Gothic horror elements.  To provide a brief summary of the film: “A young man is devoted to protecting his loved ones in a town full of corrupt and sinister characters”. The film has a complex storyline, as it focuses on different characters’ journeys and how they intertwine with each other in 1950s small town Ohio.

I finally decided, after seeing so many social media posts about it, that I must watch the film and write a review of my experience. Honestly, I didn’t really have any expectations for the film, and I wasn’t sure what to expect. But I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the film and the delivery from all the actors.  Below, I have compiled a list of the things that stood out for me in the film and why I found it so enjoyable.

1. The gore and violence

One thing that did surprise me in this film was the amount of violence and scenes involving blood. For anyone who is sensitive to this kind of stuff, I do not recommend that you watch this film. The film focuses on characters who struggle with morality and the idea of sins, so it makes sense that there is a good amount of violence, as these characters are corrupting their souls. However, it still is really hard to watch, for example, the main character beating another kid with a crowbar.

2. The performance of the actors

The actors that they were able to get for this movie really were impressive. Starting off, Tom Holland (everyone’s favorite spider-boy) plays main character Arvin Russell, a young man haunted by his past with the loss of his parents, and his struggle to protect the ones he loves against sinister forces in his small town. Tom is best known for his role as Peter Parker, but his acting range is incredible and one to look out for.  Bill Skarsgard, known best for his role as Pennywise the Clown, plays his father in flashbacks, and he is definitely one of the standout parts of the film. The emotion and struggle he emits as a former soldier who struggles with his faith, stuck with me throughout the film even after he was no longer was present in the film. Sebastian Stan and Robert Pattinson played standout supporting roles, Stan playing a corrupt sheriff and Pattinson playing a new preacher with a dark side (and an interesting accent too).

3. All the character stories are intertwined

At the beginning of the film, we are introduced to each of the characters separately, but as the plot continues, there are twists and turns that brings different characters together.  I don’t want to spoil anything, but it is an interesting way to take a plot and bring the story full circle. Something that stood out to me was that the film started off at the time when Arvin’s parents met, all the way to seeing him grow up into a man.

4. The film makes a case on humanity and idea of moral corruption

The film is heavy with themes of religion and the struggle of the human experience. A main element of the film is religion and how it guides people down a path in life. In the case of this film, it shows how people use religion to justify their unjust actions. The film is heavily focused on character relationships and is able to exhibit how each character deals with morality and the corruption that comes with too much power.

If you haven’t yet, this film is definitely worth the watch!

Lauren Comeau is a senior at Suffolk University with a major in Print and Web Journalism. She is originally from North Reading, MA. At Suffolk, she is a member of the Program Council, hosts her own nighttime radio show, and enjoys writing for the university's chapter of Her Campus. Lauren is an avid movie fan, loves One Direction, and often spends long hours experimenting with new baking recipes.