Connecting Taylor Swift’s Ex-Boyfriends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

She is the all-American country/pop singer that we love to hate; but at the same time we hate ourselves for loving her. Taylor Swift seems to know teenage girls better than they know themselves, having written about every aspect there is to young love (good, but mostly bad). Thanks to her long list very public breakups from some of Hollywood’s most famous men, we get to sing along to her catchy hits. 

Over the years our girl Tay has been in the limelight and we have seen her go through numerous amounts of break-ups and make-ups with various Hollywood hotties. Even still, Taylor rarely makes it to the “make-ups” stage of a relationship seeing as she usually puts her feelings into song before getting to the “we can still be friends” phase. 

Let’s take a long-winded look at how all of Taylor’s men can be linked together (aside from being T. Swift exes).

In July of 2008, Taylor Swift dated Joe Jonas, whose younger brother is Nick Jonas. Nick was long ago linked to Miley Cyrus, the star of “Hannah Montana: The Movie”; Miley was linked to co-star Lucas Till, who dated Swift after filming the “You Belong With Me” music video in 2009. That same year, Taylor met a different Taylor (Lautner) while filming the movie “Valentine’s Day”; a romance that unfortunately didn’t last until Valentine’s 2010. On V-Day 2010, Swift broke off the 3-month relationship between her and the notorious womanizer, John Mayer. Mayer shares the allegations of being the “trouble” behind Swift’s latest hit “I Knew You Were Trouble” with boy band singer Harry Styles, the most recent star on Swift’s long list of famous exes.

While Taylor has a song titled “22” on her new album “Red”, 2012 was actually more about the number 18 for the 23-year-old country singer, who had a summer fling with 18-year-old Conor Kennedy on Cape Cod right before her short-lived romance with Styles, another 18 year old. Styles is 10 years younger than Swift’s 2010 ex, Cory Monteith, who was dating Taylor right before she met and romanced Jake Gyllenhal. Swift dated both Monteith and Gyllenhal in the same year that the movie-version of the famous Dr. Seuss tale “The Lorax” went into production. Swift and her co-star from “The Lorax” Zac Efron, were rumored to have gone on a few dates later on into 2011. Enjoy this clip of Ellen calling her out on her relationship with Efron. Around this point in time Swift was spotted in New York auditioning for a role in the film adaptation of the classic musical, Les Miserables. Swift also manage to squeeze some flirting in with British actor Eddie Redmayne. Redmayne played a role in the movie “The Other Boleyn Girl,” with Natalie Portman. Portman’s Oscar-winning film, “Black Swan,” cast another one of Swift’s alleged exes, Toby Hemingway, was in theaters for almost six months. Six months is on average double the length of Swift’s longest relationship since becoming a household name across America. (Phew!)

So Taylor, you may have traded in the all-sequin mini dresses for a modern-day prairie look, but you aren’t fooling us her at HC Suffolk! I guess that as long as the songs we shamelessly sing in the shower keep coming, that’s all that matters to us.

Name: Julie GrasseyMajor: Public Relations and JournalismAcademic year: 2015A lover of all things fashion, live music, Starbucks, photography, dancing, playing guitar, Cheez-its, and reading my daily horoscope, I am currently a junior at Suffolk University in Boston. Other than being a full time student and HerCampus contributer, I am also a blogger and campus representative for Rent the Runway, as well as an intern for the Boston Ballet! My goal is to move to New York City after graduation and get a job planning events or styling photo shoots for a major fashion magazine or designer. This is my second semester writing for the News and Blog section of HerCampus Suffolk!