A Collegiette’s Guide to Healthy Holiday Eating!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Thanksgiving is finally right around the corner. This doesn’t just mean a break from school and a time to visit friends and family at home. It also involves the delicious spreads of food that you’ve been waiting for all year. Between professors piling on homework, studying for finals, and working to save up for holiday shopping, it can be easy to skip out on gym time, reach for a quick unhealthy meal, and pack on the pounds. But here are some helpful tips to guide you through a healthier Thanksgiving and holiday season:

• Don’t Skip Out on Breakfast

You may think the giant platters of your favorite Thanksgiving food are worth the wait, but breakfast is still the most important meal of the day. Eating a small, but satisfying meal will help control your appetite, and prevent you from overeating during dinner. Choose something like scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast, which will keep you full enough until the main course (or courses) finally arrives.

• Do Something Active in the A.M

While a Turkey Trot after dinner is a tradition for some, a long walk or run is the last thing most of us want to do after a large meal. But while you have some downtime, before family arrives and dinner is served, try to sneak in some physical activity. Starting your day with something healthy is great, and it will help you burn more calories throughout the rest of the day. It will also help you from feeling a little guilty about indulging in a little extra dessert.

• Smaller Portions of the Good Stuff

There are plenty of healthy options on the Thanksgiving dinner table. Turkey, both white and dark meat, is packed with protein, and has fewer calories than Honey Baked Ham or Prime Rib. Choose to top your turkey with gravy, rather than cranberry sauce, which can be packed with sugar, especially if it comes from a can. Fresh, roasted veggies like green beans, carrots, and sweet potatoes are great sides. Even mashed potatoes aren’t all that bad when stacked up against roasted marshmallow topped, candied yams.

• But Don’t Be Afraid to Indulge

Remember, it’s Thanksgiving, it only comes once a year, so don’t be afraid to indulge. It won’t kill you! But to keep you from mindlessly overeating a bunch of extra calories, remember to keep at least ¾ of your plate filled with healthy food. Then, use the last ¼ to fill your plate with whatever your heart desires, and savor those yummy foods you’ve been waiting for!

• If You’re Full, Avoid Seconds and Save Dessert for Later

While it is easy to go and fill your plate multiple times during dinner, really think about how you’re feeling as you eat. Once you’re full, take a break from eating. Use the time between dinner and dessert to focus on the people, instead of the food around you. When you’re no longer feeling stuffed, choose a slice of pumpkin pie for desert, which can be about 100 calories less than a slice of apple pie! Also be sure to avoid pecan pie, which can be up to 700 calories per slice. And remember that having your desert a la mode can add almost 300 extra calories.

Hopefully these tips will help you navigate your way through the sea of dishes at your holiday feast.

Happy Thanksgiving from HC Suffolk!

Julia is a senior at Suffolk University in Boston, MA. She is an English major and Psychology minor and is the Blog Section Editor and a Campus Correspondent for HC Suffolk. After graduation, she hopes to write for magazines such as Glamour or Cosmopolitan, where she can pursue her interest in sex, love and relationships, beauty/make up, and fashion. 
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.