The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: How it Differs from the Original Sitcom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Released this past week of Halloween on Netflix, the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina series brings a darker take on the beloved 90s sitcom. For all of us 90’s kids, Sabrina the Teenage Witch was a pinnacle part of our childhoods, with a beloved story of a funny, relatable teen, a talking cat, and her relationship with her adorably gullible boyfriend. The new TV show brings new life to the original comic book series, where these characters exist in the same universe as the show Riverdale. Sabrina Spellman, a half-witch in the small town of Greendale must make the tough decision of reconciling her mortal and witch identities, while also fighting against dark forces that threaten her family, and the humans that inhabit the daylight world. Looking back at the sitcom and the new series, there are several noticeable differences between the two TV shows:

1. There is a completely new cast and some new additions to characters

With Kiernan Shipka in the lead role as Sabrina, we are introduced a completely new Aunt Zelda and Hilda, as well as Ross Lynch playing Sabrina’s adorable boyfriend. Also, we are introduced to some new characters, including Ambrose, Sabrina’s spunky cousin who is stuck in house arrest.

2. Salem is actually a real cat

In the 90’s sitcom, Salem was a talking, sarcastic witch stuck in the body of cat as punishment for his past crimes. A puppet was used in the show to bring Salem to life, but in the new series, he is a living, breathing kitty. It is explained that he serves as Sabrina’s familiar, a goblin taking the form of an animal to serve witches.

3. There is a much darker atmosphere to the new series

CAOS will stay more closely in line with the comic series, so expect plenty of blood, scares, and mystical creatures.

4. Sabrina is actually aware of her witch powers

In the sitcom, Sabrina was unaware of her witch powers until her 16th birthday, and has a tough time accepting that they’re real when she does. In the new series, she is already aware of her identity as a half-witch and the fact that she will be forced to sign herself over to the Dark Lord on her 16th birthday.

5. Harvey Kinkle is already Sabrina’s boyfriend

In the original series, Sabrina and Harvey’s relationship evolves from friends to boyfriend and girlfriend over multiple seasons. In CAOS, their relationship is already well established, apart from the fact Harvey doesn’t know she’s a witch.

6. Sabrina’s parents now have a tragic backstory

In the first episode of CAOS, we learn that Sabrina’s parents passed away years ago in a tragic accident. In  Sabrina the Teenage Witch, both of her parents are still alive, but away traveling.

Whether you love the sitcom series or are interested in throwing yourself into this dark new world of Sabrina Spellman, it is a Netflix series that is definitely worth a watch.

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.