Campus Celeb: Brandon Smolarek

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Freshman goalie Brandon Smolarek was recently named ECAC Northeast Goalie of the week!

Name: Brandon Smolarek

Major: Bio/Chemistry

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Chesterfield, MI

Position: Goaltender

LC: How long have you played hockey?

Brandon: I was taught to skate before I was taught to walk, but I didn’t get between the pipes until I was about 11 years old.

LC: What is your favorite team? Favorite player?

Brandon:Being a native of Detroit, Michigan, I am a die heart fan of the Detroit Redwings. My favorite player would have to be Pavel Datsyuk, and my favorite goalie would be Kari Lehtonen of the Dallas Stars.

LC: Why did you chose to come to Suffolk?

Brandon: I love downtown Boston, and I wanted to be able to play competitive NCAA hockey, all signs lead to Suffolk. It wasn’t a very difficult decision.

LC: How does if feel to have won this title?

Brandon: It is awesome being awarded goalie of the week. It is great to be recognized on the hard work that I have done. But I can’t take all the credit for it. I owe a lot of my success to my team mates, as well as the coaching staff.

LC: If you could play hockey with any player, who would it be and why?

Brandon: If I could play with any hockey player, I would choose to play with the great Gordie Howe. Around the hockey world, he is a legend, and on top of that he was also a Redwing, so if I had the opportunity to skate with him, I would be honored.

LC: What is the biggest highlight of your hockey career?

Brandon: The biggest highlight of my hockey career would have to be wining my high school hockey championship as an underdog.

LC: Anything else you would like to add?

Brandon: Once again I can’t stress enough how much the team has helped me out in my freshman year. If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t be having this success. 

Hey! I'm Lisa and I am a senior at Suffolk. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in marketing.  
Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game.