Boston’s Best Ice Cream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Now that summertime is quickly approaching, we’re pretty much all craving the sweet treats that go along with the season. Namely, ice cream! What fun summer night is complete without stopping for some ice cream? I’ve laid out some of the must try ice cream shops in and around Boston for you to check out this spring and summer. Bring friends, a date, or just go solo, and indulge at some of these hot spots! 

1. Toscanini’s

889 Main Street, Cambridge

The New York Times dubbed this the best ice cream in the world. Needless to say, you have to try it. Their array of interesting flavors such as Cocoa Pudding, Orange Chocolate, and Vienna Finger Cookie are among Boston’s best.

2. Christina’s Homemade

1255 Cambridge Street,
Cambridge

Check out Christina’s Homemade Ice Cream for some inventive and out-of-this-world flavors. It’s interestingly under the same ownership as the spice shop next door, which can explain why it’s such a hot spot for culinary enthusiasts.

3. Picco

513 Tremont Street

Known for their pizza and ice cream (grown up style), this restaurant is sure to satisfy, especially on summer nights when you’re able to sit outside on their brick patio!

4. J.P. Licks

150 Charles Street / 1106 Boylston Street / 1618 Tremont Street, Boston

This company has now become a local chain, but hasn’t lost its delicious homemade taste. The JP Licks ice cream menu will certainly take on any type of sweet tooth you may have. Check out any of their locations for quality ice cream, froyo, coffee or other hot drinks, and more.

5. FoMu

481 Cambridge Street, Allston / 617 Centre Street, Jamaica Plain

For those of you readers who are vegan, this will be your haven to indulge this summer. Made with a coconut milk base, FoMu’s flavors are described as an alternative ice cream. They are constantly experimenting and revamping their non-dairy menu, so make sure to go check out what’s currently available!

6. Gigi Gelateria

272 Hanover St., Boston

As Boston’s first and only gelateria, this is a guaranteed hit for sweet, Italian ice cream treats. The lighter and more refreshing taste of gelato is often exactly what you need to cool off on a hot Boston day.

7. Emack & Bolio’s

255 State Street / 140 Brookline Avenue / 290 Newbury Street, Boston

This ice cream company began in the 70’s as a late-night hangout spot for rock n’ rollers to continue playing late after Boston clubs were closed. Still today it’s one of the most outrageous ice cream locations in Boston. They also offer an array of hand made chocolates and micro brewed sodas to compliment their tasty ice cream. (Also, if you’re too lazy to go out in the heat, you can have your ice cream delivered from here!)

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.