Boston Girls Guide to Sports: What You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

There is no question that Boston is one of the best sports cities in America. Three time Super Bowl Champions, seven time World Series Champions, six time Stanley Cup Champions and seventeen time NBA World Champions. Boston sports teams are always a force to be reckoned with. Therefore those who are new to this city and want to “Believe in Boston,” need to know some of the basic facts.

“Being a Boston sports fan you are guaranteed to have a lot of ups and downs, but you always keep the faith,” said Pawel Chojnowski, Class of ’15.  In 2007, the New England Patriots went undefeated the entire season only to lose to the wild card New York Giants in Super Bowl XLII. Their loss was one of worst upsets in Super Bowl history.

If Boston fans are one thing they are loyal. After Babe Ruth was traded from the Boston Red Sox to the New York Yankees in 1919, it took Boston 86 years to win another World Series Championship in 2004. The Curse of the Bambino, as it began to be known, was an exhausting time for Boston fans of all generations. But still, they remained loyal to their team, and never lost hope that the next year would be the year. “Boston fans always look to next season, no matter what happens,” said CJ Mullin, ’15.

Even though Boston sports have had their share of hard times, they have also seen great victories. In their time as a franchise, the Boston Celtics have had more NBA Championships than any other team in the NBA. The reigning 2011 Stanley Cup Champions, Boston Bruins are ranked number four in the league, and second in the nation for Championship wins. They continue to be one of the teams to beat on the ice.

Boston fans are always true and they constantly show it with wearing their team merchandise loud and proud. “It is definitely acceptable to always wear your Boston team clothes,” said Adam Marowski ’15. Whenever walking around the city, the amount of people you see supporting their team is un- countable. It’s a kind of fashion trend, male or female, the Red Sox cap and Boston team t-shirts are everywhere.

Fast Boston Team Facts:

Celtics– Coach: Doc Rivers, Captain: Paul Pierce, Venue: TD Garden, Mascot: Lucky the Leprechaun, Last Championship: 2008.

Patriots– Coach: Bill Belichick, Captains: Tom Brady, Vince Wilfork, Jerod Mayo, Matthew Slater, Logan Mankins and Devin McCourty, Venue: Gillette Stadium, Mascot: Pat the Patriot Last Championship: 2004

Red Sox-Manager: Bobby Valentine, Captain: TBD, Venue: Fenway Park, Mascot: Wally the Green Monster, Last Championship: 2007

Bruins-Coach: Claude Julien, Captain: Zdeno Chara, Venue; TD Garden, Mascot: Blades the Bear, Last Championship: 2011

Stephanie is the Business Development Coordinator at Her Campus Media . A graduate of Suffolk University, Stephanie held the position of secretary at the HC Suffolk chapter and lived the real life "Pitch Perfect" as business manager of her a cappella group the Suffolk Ramifications. Before joining the Her Campus team, Stephanie held positions in experiential marketing and public relations. In her free time you can find her with family & friends, sitting with a good book, getting stressed out over football & hockey or hunting down the best gluten free food Boston has to offer. 
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.