Black-Owned Businesses to Support in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

This past year has been tough for us all, as many of us have had our lives uprooted due to the pandemic. Small-businesses, especially those within predominantly communities of color, have been heavily impacted due to the lockdowns and limited capacity enforced by state governments. Here in Boston, we have seen so many places close their doors due to the inability to bring in enough income to stay afloat. Now more than ever, it is so important for us to support our local small businesses, as they are the heart of our communities. With this month being Black History Month, I have compiled a list of the top 5 Black-owned Boston businesses you should check out.

Frugal Bookstore

Located in Roxbury, MA, it is Boston’s only black-owned bookstore, founded with a passion to “Change Minds One Book at a Time.” It has been a community space for many people, hoping to inspire readers and support local and out-of-state authors. Customers can purchase books at affordable prices either in-store at the Roxbury location or online at their website: www.frugalbookstore.net

Clarke’s Cakes and Cookies

A local bakery in Dorchester, MA that offers a variety of vegan treats.  Looking at their website, the desserts look incredible and offered at reasonable prices.  The company also sells many of their baked products to different stores across Boston.  www.clarkescakesandcookies.com

Brown and Coconut

Brown and Coconut is a skincare company founded by two Boston-based sisters, getting the idea for gentle and effective products after long suffering from acne and eczema. Their products contain a distinct blend of powerful plants, botanical extracts, and clays to support our skin’s balance.  www.brownandcoconut.com

Slade’s Bar and Grill

Opened in 1935 on Tremont Street, Slade’s has been serving a mix of family comfort and funky vibes to the people of Boston for decades. They have coined themselves “The Soul of Boston”, offering customers delicious food, great drinks, and live entertainment all under one roof. With the current COVID restrictions in place, they are offering both indoor and outdoor seating, as well as takeout options for those who want to experience Slade’s from the comfort of their homes. www.sladesbarandgrill.com

Tipping Cow Ice Cream

This local ice cream shop, located in Somerville, MA, was a Boston Magazine Best of Boston Winner for 2020. They offer homemade ice cream that is 100% peanut, tree nut, and sesame-free.  Looking at their website, they offer a variety of flavors, from your basic chocolate and mint to unique flavors like cannoli and earl grey & lemon. Online ordering is available to customers and the website also provides information about other places where their ice cream is sold in the Greater Boston area.  www.tippingcowicecream.com

If you are in the Boston area and are looking to support more black-owned businesses, definitely check these out!

Lauren Comeau is a senior at Suffolk University with a major in Print and Web Journalism. She is originally from North Reading, MA. At Suffolk, she is a member of the Program Council, hosts her own nighttime radio show, and enjoys writing for the university's chapter of Her Campus. Lauren is an avid movie fan, loves One Direction, and often spends long hours experimenting with new baking recipes.