Best (Uncommon) Restaurants To Go To In Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Boston has over 2,500 restaurants. Whether you’re new to the city or a true townie, that number can be intimidating. So instead of forking over $60 for a mediocre meal at Top of the Hub (it’s a trap!), try some of these lesser-known but absolutely delicious places.

ON YOUR BIRTHDAY:

Toscano (Harvard Square)   $$

Delicious Italian food, an authentic and friendly staff, a massive dessert menu, and some of the best red wine you’ll have. Happy birthday to you.

Brown Sugar Café (Comm. Ave)   $$

On top of being considered some of the best Thai food in Boston, Brown Sugar Café also has a dope birthday celebration. From disco lights to free desserts, they will make your big night one to remember.

Beat Hotel (Harvard Square)   $$

Cocktails, great service, live music, killer food. What else could you ask for on your birthday? ORDER: Crispy tuna spring rolls.

ON A FIRST DATE:

The Beehive (Tremont St.) $$

Who says dates have to be at night? Go out for Sunday brunch at The Beehive and enjoy a mouthwatering meal alongside a live jazz performance.

JM Curleys (Temple Pl.)   $$

This is a real picture of my burger from last week. From the urban atmosphere to the creamy mac-and-cheese served fresh on a skillet, this place is one of my fav places in Boston. ORDER: Any type of burger.

The Fireplace (Washington Square) $$$

While it is a bit on the pricier side, if you take your date to The Fireplace, you’re essentially guaranteed a second date. This warm and inviting place is perfect for a snow-date, especially since they have real fireplaces!

WITH YOUR GIRLS:

Fire and Ice (Harvard Square) $

Between the fun atmosphere, variety of food, and flirty menu, this is the perfect place for a GNO. Go on Monday nights for college night (10.99 for all you can eat)

The Middle East Restaurant And Nightclub (Central Square) $Considered as one of the best music venues in Boston, The Middle East serves huge portion sizes and is fairly priced. If you feel like grabbing an early bite, the ENTIRE MENU is half-off between 5 and 7 PM.

Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar (Dartmouth St.) $$

Taco Mondays all you can eat special. That is all. ORDER: A broken heart margarita.

WITH YOUR FAMILY:

The Avenue (Comm. Ave) $  

Filled with wicked juicy and cheap (which will make Dad happy) burgers and sweet potato tots that are addicting, The Avenue is a great place to show your folks.

The Florentine Café (North End)  $$

The drinks are incredible. The staff is insanely kind. The food is authentic Italian. The price is completely reasonable. Enough said.

Figs (Charles St.) $$

While they are known for their unique pizzas (whoever thought of prosciutto and fig pizza is a genius), everything on the menu is absolutely amazing. ORDER: For dessert, the white chocolate bread pudding.

WITH YOUR LONG-TERM BOYFRIEND:

Biddy Early’s (Pearl St.) $

Rated one of Boston’s best Dive Bars, Biddy Early’s consists of jukeboxes, cheap booze, old-school charm, and yummy bites. Definitely a fun and casual night out with your man.  

Mike’s Restaurant (Davis Square) $  

With an indoor/outdoor atmosphere that is perfect for a summer day, Mike’s is inexpensive, quick, and loads of fun. Order a slice of pizza, a cold beer, and unwind with your hubby. Plus, there’s like four TVs that are always playing SportsCenter, which should make him very pleased.

The Butcher Shop (Tremont St.) $$$ 

Fairly expensive, but entirely worth it for the best meat you will ever taste and a fun dining experience. ORDER: The grande charcuterie (at a place like this, you gotta go big or go home)

WHEN YOU WANT TO TRY SOMETHING NEW:

Meju (Davis Square) $$

One of Davis Square’s newest eateries, Meju is a combination of authentic Vietnamese cuisine with a modern city twist. ORDER: Bimambop with purple rice in a hot stone bowl.

Toro (Washington St.) $$$

Located in the South End, this Tapas Bar is home to an unbelievably delicious menu. According to Yelp review, the tapas are “to die for” and the seared foie gras with pear chutney is “sex on a plate.”

Bistro Du Midi (Boylston St.) $$$

From grilled octopus to bouillabaisse, this restaurant is famous for their authentic French cuisine and “celebrating the fruits of the sea.”

WHEN YOU’RE CRAVING SOMETHING FAST & CASUAL:

Vietnamese Sandwich Shop (China Town) $

What does $3.75 get you now-a-days? Coffee and a donut from Dunkin? Or maybe a teeshirt from Forever if you’re lucky? But, at this little-known Sandwich shop, $3.75 is all you need for a BBQ beef sandwich that will change your life. Cash only.

Mike and Patty’s (Church St.) $

Rated one of Boston’s best (and cheapest) breakfast places, Mike and Patty’s is known for their friendly staff, quick service, and sublime sandwiches. Keep your tummy (and wallet) full.

Café Pompeii (North End) $

This enormous Italian eatery has a fancy side and a casual side, but the food all around is spectacular. Mangia! ORDER: Prosciutto pizza.

IF YOU’VE BOUGHT NEW HEELS & WANT TO SHOW THEM OFF:

The Foundry (Davis Square) $$

Sit at the bar and mingle or grab a booth with your friends and relax. Either way, the good vibes and incredible food at The Foundry will make for a great night out.

Quattro (North End) $$

Old-school Italian food + a chic and urban atmosphere = one of my all-time favorite restaurants ever. ORDER: Octopus salad.

Bronwyn (Washington St.) $$$

This high-end rustic restaurant embraces its German roots with a unique seasonal menu. That’s right, I’m talking pierogies stuffed with autumn squash and apples in the fall. 

IF YOU’RE A VEGETARIAN:

Sweetgreen (Boylston Street) $$

Whether you’re in the neighborhood or Door Dash-ing, Sweetgreen should be your next place to try. From their incredibly fresh salads to their hearty rice bowls to their yummy drinks, this is the perfect place to grab a bite.

Veggie Galaxy (Central Square) $$

Huge proportions, inexpensive prices, and a 100% Vegan menu filled with comfort food. What more could you ask for? ORDER: Lemon merengue pie.

Flatbread Company (Davis Square) $$

Whether you’re a vegetarian or not, this is literally my favorite place to eat in Boston. Their salads are all organic and absolutely spectacular. Their pizzas are always cooked to perfection and have the most creative toppings. Their staff is urban, helpful, and always happy. If all of that wasn’t enough, you can go bowling while you eat! In fact, almost everything in the restaurant is made out of an old bowling alley, from the bar to the booths. Clearly, I had to save the best for last.

**

$= Cheap

$$= Moderate

$$$= Pricey