david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ballin’ On a Budget: Halloween Costumes for College Students that Won’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Spooky season is upon us, people. This means endless amounts of apple cider and pumpkin spice everything, 31 marvelous nights of Halloween movies, and we cannot forget the best part: dressing up. Celebrating Halloween in college means a good amount of costume parties and you’re going to want to have fun. If you’re someone like me who loves dressing up, you’re going to want to go all out on your costumes, but as a broke college student, not break the bank. I’ve compiled a list below of the 5 best and easiest costumes to make for Halloween 2019:

1. Punny Costumes

Images from: Woman’sDay and Country Living Magazine

Pun costumes, personally, are some of the funniest and most creative to do. You have so many to choose from and can totally make it your own, either over the top or simple. Plus, they are great conversation-starters at parties and I guarantee people will love them!

2. Skeleton

Image from: elitedaily.com

Nothing says spooky like a skeleton costume. Skeleton costumes are super easy to put together and do not break the bank! They are always my go-to when I’m looking for last-minute ideas. All you need is an all-black or black and white costume and some good face paint. If you go to any Halloween store, they usually sell an entire face paint kit that you can get for $10 at the most. And, if you’re bad at face painting, you can always persuade one of your artistic friends to do it.

3. Character Costumes

Images from Woman’sDay and revelist.com

For all the film and TV junkies out there, dressing up as their favorite characters is the best way to express their love. And I know, some costumes out there seem like too difficult and costly to make, but there are some cool options to consider based on what you like. If you love movies like Mean Girls or Clueless, it can be super easy to find an outfit at the clothing stores you already may shop at, so you won’t have to go around hunting for them.  I’ve done character costumes for the last few years and I can say, they’re extremely fun.

4. Scarecrow

Image from: brit.co

Scarecrow costumes can be the perfect DIY if you’re in a rush and need a costume in a pinch. Nothing says Halloween and the start of the fall season than a scarecrow. All you need is a cute worn pair of jean overalls, a flannel, and a cute straw hat you could find at most clothing stores.

5. Alien and Astronaut

Image from: Pinterest

I know the alien has been used pretty frequently as a Halloween costume, but I absolutely think it’s out of this world (see what I did there). Especially, if you have a significant other or friend who is willing to do it with you. In terms of the alien costume, what you mainly need is some sparkly clothes, ones that you can most likely get for cheap at stores like Forever 21, and of course lots of glitter for your face. For the astronaut costume, they do sell suits online that you can purchase, but I know that at some stores you can buy a NASA jacket, or worst comes to worst, just wear a NASA t-shirt.

Lauren Comeau is a senior at Suffolk University with a major in Print and Web Journalism. She is originally from North Reading, MA. At Suffolk, she is a member of the Program Council, hosts her own nighttime radio show, and enjoys writing for the university's chapter of Her Campus. Lauren is an avid movie fan, loves One Direction, and often spends long hours experimenting with new baking recipes.
Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.