Anna Balashova ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

When senior Anna Balashova isn’t studying at Suffolk, she’s training for the next Olympics. In Rio 2016, she will be competing for her home country Russia as a part of the Equestrian team! Read below to find out more about Anna.

Name: Anna Balashova

Class Year: Senior

Major: PR

Hometown: Moscow, Russia

EC: What process did you go through to earn your spot on Russias Equestrian Olympic team?

Anna: I started competing as a junior rider when I was 15. At the age of 16, I became a member of the national team and went to my first international competition outside of Russia. I have participated in 2 European Championships, a lot of international competitions, and I won the World Cup series.  By earning points and winning competitions, I got my high ranking and qualification.

EC: How many years have you been competing to get where you are today?

Anna: About 6 years.

EC: What is your favorite part about competing?

Anna: Definitely winning.

EC: What made you want to start competing?

Anna: My coach told me that I should try.

EC: Was this your first attempt at attempting to go to the Olympics, or have you competed for a spot before?

Anna: It’s a long process, but I have never aimed for that. I was just competing, winning, losing, winning again and finally realized that I am doing quite well and my results allowed me to qualify.

EC: What was your reaction when you heard that you were officially going to the Games, and when did you find out?

Anna: I found that out 6 or 7 months ago and was quite ready for it, because as I said, it is a continuous process and during the whole journey you know how well you are doing compared to other riders and what your ranking is.

EC: What is your training routine like?

Anna: I have a coach, but I ride by myself as well. It gives me time to figure out my harmony and connection with my horse. It is the most important thing in riding, and the coach helps you get an impression from the outside.

EC: What are your goals at the 2016 Olympics besides winning a medal?

Anna: Having an amazing time and enjoying this wonderful opportunity.

EC: What made you choose Suffolk University?

Anna: To be honest, I transferred from Russia in the end of my sophomore year, and chose the college that accepted as many credits from Russia as possible.

EC: What are the biggest differences that you notice between Russia and Boston?

Anna: People’s mentality.

Erin is a senior at Suffolk, majoring in public relations. She loves going out with her friends, catching up on her shows on Netflix, and although she's sad about graduating, she can't wait to see what the real world has to offer.  
Journalism student in Boston / Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk. I'm into politics, pop music, and parks. I tweet about TV and lipstick. @nikkimfell