Alumni Diaries: Ashley O’Donnell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Graduation is something that us college students anticipate all four years, and as it gets closer it is something we all fear. I had the opportunity to speak with a recent Suffolk graduate, Ashley O’Donnell, about her experience at Suffolk, and where she is now.

Name: Ashley O’Donnell
Hometown: Malden, MA
Year of Graduation from Suffolk: 2011
Major: Broadcast Journalism
Minor: Theatre Arts

What was your favorite thing about attending Suffolk?
My favorite thing about Suffolk would have to be the campus…or lack thereof.  As a commuter I did feel that I missed out on a lot of your ‘typical’ college experiences, but on the other hand, I had one of the greatest cities in the world at my fingertips.  I loved that I was able to stroll around Beacon Hill, or go sit and study in the Commons on a beautiful day. Suffolk’s unique campus forced me to be independent and self-sufficient. 

At 18, I was living on my own, in the heart of Boston, and taking the T back and forth to class every day. I worked two jobs consistently through my four years of college, and some of my fellow classmates worked even more.  As a matter of fact, a majority of the students I met at Suffolk worked hard, on top of going to class full-time. While I sometimes craved the campus experience my friends had at smaller schools, I believe I graduated college more ready for the real world than most.

Who was your favorite professor at Suffolk?
My favorite professor at Suffolk was the very first professor I had on my very first day of my freshman year. Professor Waggett taught English 101, a class most freshmen are required to take.  What I loved most about Professor Waggett was his ability to make classic literature relatable to kids this day in age, who probably could have cared less. I have always loved English, but I saw many of my classmates who didn’t enjoy the subject were interested because of the way Professor Waggett taught.  Many of his lessons, both on literature and life, have stuck with me four years later.  Several of my classmates and I took him for a second semester in English 102 when English 101 ended, a testament to just how awesome he is!

What was your favorite class at Suffolk?
My favorite class at Suffolk was called Suffolk U News.  Many Suffolk students are probably unaware that we have a television studio on Tremont Street that produces a weekly newscast, which airs on the Boston Neighborhood Network.  As a matter of fact, an edition of Suffolk U News that I reported in last year, just won an award from the Associated Press for best student newscast in New England! Suffolk’s Broadcast Production program is up and coming right now.  But you don’t need to know what Suffolk U News is to understand why it was my favorite class.  Being on camera for a newscast might seem like a FUN class, and believe me it was…but it was also one of the most challenging things I have ever done. Suffolk U News was all about constructive criticism, and weekly deadlines that made my blood pressure skyrocket.  While most weeks I was miserable until the show was wrapped, in retrospect I realize all the work paid off.  Regardless of whether or not I ever see the set of another newscast, I have better time management skills and work really well under pressure. It was a true glimpse into the industry for all you aspiring reporters out there as well as a great life lesson.

What are you currently pursuing?
Right now I am pursuing a lifelong dream that was in my mind long before I even heard of Suffolk.  My first ‘big girl’ job is at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. I came to Disney through the Walt Disney World College Program just a few months after I graduated from Suffolk, to work in a frontline role as a lifeguard. Originally, I thought the program would be a great resume booster, and help me network towards future opportunities in my field (Disney owns ABC and ESPN).  However, after only a month in Orlando, I knew I was a Disney “lifer.”  I started applying within the Disney Company and landed a job working as a Recreation Activities Auditor for Disney Resort’s Lodging Line of Business. I strive to make the “Disney” difference in a family’s vacation every day. Someday I hope to revisit the world of broadcast production, but for right now I’m satisfied working with a wonderful team in the “Happiest Place on Earth.”

Do you have any advice for current Suffolk students?
The best advice I can give to current students is to get involved. I know that’s probably the advice I heard the most while I was at Suffolk, but I didn’t WANT to hear it. It wasn’t until later in my Suffolk career when I starting performing in theatre and reporting for Suffolk U News, that I truly felt like I was a part of something. Since Suffolk is an urban campus, it’s not always easy to feel a sense of community. Looking back, I wish I had been a little bit braver my freshman and sophomore years, and joined a club just to meet more people and be a part of something.  I waited for things to get better for me, when I should have proactively been making them bettermyself.  Your college experience is what YOU make it!

Hey! I'm Lisa and I am a senior at Suffolk. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in marketing.  
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.