Abroad Blog: Study Abroad Must-Sees

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Half of the fun of jet setting around the world while studying abroad is bragging about it to your friends back home, right? The following lively destinations are suggestions for students studying abroad in Europe, based on my travels to these “must-see” places. Every country has its own individual thriving culture and charisma that makes each one so inspiring!

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page”

-Augustine of Hippo

Live, adventure and grow.

1.  Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

“Nothing to see here, other than the infinite breathtaking beauty of Nature’s overactive imagination” (BuzzFeed). This is Ireland’s most visited natural attraction. Standing 702 feet at their highest point, they stretch for five miles along the Atlantic coast of County Clare in the west of Ireland.

2. Tuscany, Italy

Tuscany is simply stunning. The landscapes are magnificent, and the Italian culture is intense. Make sure to check out the nature reserves, and enjoy a few local bottles of the wine!

3. Venice, Italy

Despite the touristy aspect, Venice is a must-see. It has its own share of history, art, and exquisite buildings throughout. The special charm comes from the pedestrian only streets and Gondola filled rivers.

4. Paris, France

France’s picturesque capital city is a necessary stop while traveling in Europe. It’s monuments, museums, gardens, and architecture at every turn makes for a beautiful, historical experience.

5. Amsterdam, Netherlands

Despite its reputation, Amsterdam is really a beautiful city. Whether you enjoy culture and history, intense partying, or the relaxing allure of an old European city, there is enough to keep you busy for weeks here! It is known as “Venice of the North,” because of it’s numerous canals throughout the city and pedestrian only streets. The majority of families travel by bike; it is quite an interesting culture!

[pagebreak]

6. Madrid, Spain

Known for the liveliest nightlife, delicious tapas, and new Spanish architecture, Madrid is one of the European cities that will be difficult to leave. The “Madrileño” culture is unlike any other, especially the fact that they have possibly the largest number of bars over any other European city…and they are known to stay up as late as 7AM!

7. Barcelona, Spain

A perfect combination of city and beach, means you can enjoy both sight seeing and a beach day without going too far. Antoni Gaudí’s several buildings throughout the city, including the Sagrada Famalia, are the jewels of Barcelona’s crown.

3. Mykanos, Greece

The white homes, blue domed churches, cliffs, caves, beaches, and the Aegean Sea make the Greek Islands a popular getaway location for a long weekend in Europe. “Mykonos is Greece’s answer to Ibiza, but without the attitude and posturing,” said CNN.

9. Chefchaouen, Morocco

Experience the ultimate culture shock in Chefchaouen, located in the heart of Morocco’s Rif Mountains. The town of sky blue streets and buildings is a popular destination for backpackers. The main square is lined with cafes, shops, locals, and tourists mingling easily. About an hour outside of the city, most travelers go for their first camel ride along the beach to complete their Moroccan experience.

10. Budapest, Hungary

Known as “Paris of the East” Budapest’s architecture is so remarkable that Katy Perry filmed her 2010 hit, “Firework” music video at the Buda Castle. Its pulsating nightlife and notorious natural thermal baths contribute to the unique, youthful atmosphere.