This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Fall might just be the coziest time of the year. The temperature starts to drop, leaves are beautifully changing color and it’s almost “cuffing season.” Although you’re most likely drowning in papers and study sessions, you must make time for all those cliche, classic fall dates. Whether you are in a long-term committed relationship, or just doing trial runs for the holidays, dates are simply stressful. The idea of not only planning what you’re going to do on said date, but then having to decide on a stellar outfit convinces some to cancel the date altogether. I took that worry away so you can just go on the date and have fun—which is why we all go on dates anyways. Below are five season-appropriate date ideas, along with an outfit to wear on each date. 

1. Apple or pumpkin picking: boyfriend jeans, solid colored tee, plaid blazer and sneakers 

No fall season would be complete without a date to an apple orchard or pumpkin patch. It is the most basic autumn date, yet it must be done. Activity dates are arguably the best simply because you’re physically doing something. When there is an inevitable stall in the conversation, you both have something to fall back onto. For the outfit, wear simple, yet cute, boyfriend jeans—a classic. Pair it with a solid colored top, such as a plain white t-shirt tucked in or a crop top. Now, instead of wearing a jacket, add an oversized plaid blazer to the mix. If you don’t own one in your closet currently, I highly recommend heading over to your local thrift store to pick one up. This will be a staple piece for the current season, but is also a timeless piece to invest in. When it comes to shoes, I know you’ll feel tempted to wear your fashionable heeled boots, but take my word and just wear sneakers. The ground is never even and you’ll be doing a lot of walking, so stay comfortable and avoid tripping. 

1. Haunted house: Leather pants, comfy sweater and a crossbody bag 

Haunted houses are a fabulous way to get to know someone, which makes it a perfect date location. Bonding over a shared fear will make you both closer than you could’ve though, especially if it’s a first date. If you get scared extremely easily, like me, then try stepping out of your comfort zone for your date. Trust me, you won’t regret it, and your date will recognize your courage. When planning your outfit, make sure to wear a comfortable and warm sweater. The sun will have set by the time you go out and, as we all know, nights in the fall are no joke when it comes to the temperature dropping. Although leather pants may seem like an overkill, they are the perfect article to dress up your sweater while staying cozy. Forever 21 has these Faux Leather High-Rise Pants which are extremely comfortable and perfect for the occasion. By wearing a crossbody bag, you’ll be able to easily walk through the haunted house without having to worry about your purse. 

1. Drive-in movie: a matching set 

If you want a more low-key date, try heading to a drive-in movie. Some may see this as a summer activity, however pull out the fuzzy blankets and get snug under the stars. During the month of October, most drive-in movie theaters will be playing horror films to match the theme of Halloween. What better way to spend a date than cuddling while watching a scary movie? A drive-in movie night is not your basic dinner and a movie date. It’s all about the ambience. As for attire, it’s obviously much more chill. I would recommend wearing a matching two-piece set. Something cozy, yet still fashionable. Looking cute while comfortable is the ultimate goal here and I think the best way to accomplish this is with a matching set. 

1. Tailgate and football game: bomber jacket, crop top and cargo pants 

Whether it’s your college football team, or an NFL match, tailgates and football games are undeniably a blast. Grab some friends, make it a double date and just have fun. Even if you are not the most interested in the sport, it’ll be a great way to enjoy yourself while simultaneously getting to know your date. Now, search through your closet for items that match the color of the team you’re rooting for. Even if you don’t have team merch, you can show your pride by wearing their colors. Start with cargo pants on the bottom, stylish and comfortable—a win-win. For the top, you can add a crop top that’s either neutral, or you’re team colors. If you have team merch even better! Adding a bomber jacket to this already cute outfit will not only pull it altogether, but will also keep you worm when it gets chilly. 

1. Stay at home and carve pumpkins: leggings, cropped tank top and cardigan 

When you think of a date you probably think about going out. However, stay-at-home dates can be just as fun! What better way to celebrate the fall than to relax at home carving pumpkins with someone you are interested in. You can even put on a Halloween movie to be that much more festive. For a date in the comfort of your home, you might feel as if your outfit is lacking, however looking comfortable is the most stylish you can be. For this date I recommend wearing leggings, or whatever you feel most like yourself in. Then add a cropped tank top with a soft, cozy cardigan on top. This outfit will give “adorable, yet I just woke up.” And that’s exactly what you’ll want to go for. 

Now that you have five different fall date ideas with correlating outfits, go plan some date nights with your partner or reach out and schedule that first date. Fall is such a romantic season, so don’t let it pass you by. 

Kayla is a Junior Journalism major at Suffolk University. She was previously a student at Hofstra University where she wrote for both Her Campus Hofstra and the Hofstra Chronicle. She was also assistant copy chief at the Chronicle. She is currently a service intern at Kids in Tech where she runs tech clubs for kids aged 8-14 years old. When not studying or working, she likes to spend her time shopping, writing, and hanging out with her cat!