10 Ways To Make The Best of Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

In order to stop the spreading of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) globally, we have all began to practice self-quarantining and social distancing over the past few weeks. While it’s been hard to cope with schools closing for the remainder of the semester, events and celebrations being canceled, and restaurants/stores being shut down temporarily, it is important to understand that this is for our health and safety, and will overall benefit the greater good. Yet, it is still valid to feel sad, upset and stressed. We are only human. This whole concept of self-quarantining can seem lonely, scary, and incredibly overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are 10 ways to make the best of quarantine and stay positive during this difficult time:

1. Journal

The emotions we’ve all felt the last few weeks have felt like a never-ending rollercoaster ride and it can be a lot to process. Writing down these thoughts and feelings can help to work through them and allow you to understand them better. With the extra time, I’ve been using different colored pens to further express creativity in my pages. 

marble and pink notebook
Plush Design Studio
2. Cook/Bake

Going out to eat is one of my favorite things to do, but the restaurant closures have encouraged me to cook more than I ever have before (but don’t forget to support a local business and order take out once in a while if you’re able!) This a time to sharpen up on your skills, try new recipes, make healthier choices, and see what delicious creations you can make. Recently, I tried this recipe for turmeric chicken and I loved it!

3. Read a book 

Lately, it feels like any book I’ve read has been for school-related purposes, so quarantining has given me the opportunity to read for pleasure. This can be a nice way to take a break from looking at a screen whether it’s for online school or from watching Netflix. Currently, I’m reading ‘Girl Wash Your Face’ by Rachel Hollis and so far, I’d 10/10 recommend checking it out!

4. Workout/Yoga

Just because the gyms are closed doesn’t mean you can’t get a good sweat in at home! There are so many ways to do at home workouts or yoga with a few items such as a yoga mat, weights, kettlebell, TheraBands, and more. It is a great way to move your body if you’re stuck inside the house all day. I’ve been loving the PopSugar Fitness workouts on YouTube!

Todd Kent

5. Make a Tik Tok 

I know this one might not be for everyone and that is okay, but this has been one of my favorite ways to pass time. I loved watching Tik Tok so much that I decided to make a few of my own. It can be a fun way to learn something new (like the renegade dance perhaps) and is guaranteed to be a great source of laughter. 

6. FaceTime is your new best friend

Just because we’re practicing social distancing, doesn’t mean we have to give up all social interaction. FaceTime, or platforms that are similar, is one of the easiest ways to stay in touch with family, friends, and loved ones. My friends and I have been loving using the group FaceTime feature, so we can still feel like we’re all hanging out together. 

7. Go for a walk outside

While it is important to quarantine as much as possible, we still need to get a little fresh air here and there. Take a walk around the neighborhood for 20 minutes if you can. Listen to your favorite album or a podcast while you do so. It can be a good way to clear your mind.

woman walking on a pathway with fall leaves
Dmitry Schemelev

8. Make music playlists 

Another one of my favorite ways to pass time is to create different playlists on Spotify. You can make them for different moods, genres, artists, and more. This is also a good time to find new music to listen to or clear your playlists of any songs you don’t love as much anymore. 

9. Play games 

There are so many variations to play games whether its video games, board games, or card games and they can be a fun activity to do with a small group of family members or friends. Phase10 is my favorite card game to play with my family. You can even play games solo if that’s more your thing. The Sims 4 is 85% off on Origin’s website until March 23d!

10. Clean your room

While this may not be your favorite thing to do, it can definitely pass the time and help you finally do some much-needed tidying and decluttering. This can even be a week-long project if you clean a little bit of a different section each day!

photo of an organized closet
Photo by Burgess Milner on Unsplash

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.