Why We Love Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

Shows like Parks and Recreation, The Office, 30 Rock, and Arrested Development are comedy gold. These will no doubt go down as brilliance beyond their time.

But, have you heard of the new show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt? It’s a Netflix original series, and my recommendation this week.

From producers Tina Fey and Robert Carlock, comes a show starring Ellie Kemper, Jane Krakowski and Tituss Burgess.

Kemper plays Kimmy Schmidt, who is rescued from a doomsday cult and ends up trying to start a new life in New York. Kimmy becomes a New York nanny for Jane Krakowski, whom you might know from 30 Rock, and learns how to live as a free woman in the 21st century.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt really deserves the hype it’s getting. Fey and Carlock have created a comedic masterpiece.

Kimmy has to learn to live on her own. What makes this show so great is Kimmy’s newfound sense of independence. This woman has been locked in a bunker for 15 years and she manages to get a job, do math, learn how to be social again and go on a date, and even use a “Macintosh.”

Kimmy is awkward, she makes old references from before she was in the bunker. Insert MC Hammer joke here.

References to old music, an appearance from The Babysitter’s Club series, and light-up sneakers make this show gold.

But, we learn other things from Kimmy. We learn that we can overcome circumstances beyond our control.

She teaches us that we do not have to be dragged down by the things that have happened to us in the past. We’re as strong as we choose to be.

She teaches us that being weird is not a bad thing. We must embrace who we are.

And most importantly, she teaches us that life changes very quickly. One minute you can be in an under grown cult bunker, the next a nanny to a New York socialite. Life is unpredictable as hell. But, “women are strong as hell.”

I give Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt five out of five stars. I already cannot wait for the next season!

And of course, there is Titus.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt © Universal Television

Hi! I'm Nathalie Sturgeon. Raised in Miramichi, New Brunswick. I'm a psychology/journalism major at St. Thomas University. I'm excited to contributing to Her Campus STU.