Undercover Colors: Detect a Date Rape Drug With Your Finger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

Last month, rumours began swirling about a nail polish that can detect date rape drugs in your drink. Is it true? It is indeed!

The nail polish, called Undercover Colors, was created by four undergraduates from the University of North Carolina. The creators, Tyler Confrey-Maloney, Stephen Gray, Ankesh Madan and Tasso Von Windheim, decided to invent the nail polish when they realized that the percentage of women who are given date rape drugs in America was rising.

The nail polish is a clear, shiny coat that you put on your nails. Once exposed to date rape drugs, your nail changes colour. In order for this nail polish to work, a person wearing it would have to dip their finger in their drink and wait about ten seconds to test whether their drink has been drugged or not.

The students are fundraising in order to test the product further, as well as getting the nail polish onto the market around the world. A Facebook page has been created to gain support and funds. The “About” section of their Facebook page states, “With our nail polish, any woman will be empowered to discreetly ensure her safety by simply stirring her drink with her finger.”  

Undercover Colors has received much praise from people, but it has also has its critics. One of the biggest problems that has been brought up is how the nail polish cannot detect all date rape drugs. Reference sites, such as Wikipedia, list hundreds of different types of drugs that could become potential date rape drugs, where Undercover Colors can only detect Xanax, GHB and Rohypnol.

We decided to ask a couple of STUdents what they thought of this new invention.

“If it works, then it could be good for women who like to go into settings where date rape drugs are a real threat,” says fourth-year student Bradwell Brewer.

Bradwell also says the company should consider making a similar product for men, as the subject of men’s sexual assault becomes less taboo.

“Perhaps if they put the nail polish’s chemicals on a pen, and then market that to men.”

First-year student Stephanie Melvin had another opinion.

“I think it’s a good idea and I realize how it can be good for women, but it is pathetic how it’s had to come to nail polish that detects date rape drugs,” says Stephanie.

She agrees that the product should not be marketed exclusively to women, but says that the creators of Undercover Colors are looking at the problem of sexual assault from the wrong angle.

“Instead of us focusing on finding something that can help the potential victims, we should be focusing more on the perpetrators who are doing the drugging.”

What do you think of Undercover Colors?  Would you buy it if it was available?

2nd year student at STU! I love to write, watch movies, listen to Kpop, be with friends and shop! I am currently studying Journalism.