Squashing Second Semester Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

What’s a girl to do when the novelty of first semester has finally worn off? The winter weather, the post-holiday homesickness, and the fast-building momentum of your course work and assignment deadlines can take a toll on your mentality, making for a less-than-enjoyable second semester. But don’t despair! You can hang in there until summer rolls around, and make the best of your second semester by keeping your stress in check. Here’s some ideas on how to do just that:

Share some laughs:

Friends are what make life exciting, and fun is what makes time fly by. Make time for your friends! Whether you have to schedule one-on-one friend dates with them, go with a group of friends to the movies (Tuesday nights are discount night!), or take the weekend off to let loose and party, spending time with people whose company you enjoy is a sure way to boost your overall mood.

Take some time:

“Me time,” that is. Take an hour, a few hours, or even a full day on the weekend, and make it all about you. Stay in and relax, and do what makes you happy. You can’t be expected to be your absolute best all the time if you never take any time to refresh and recharge. Never underestimate the importance of taking care of yourself.

Talk it out:

Expressing your worries out loud to someone with a listening ear is one the most therapeutic ways to deal with stressful situations. Talk to a friend, a family member on the phone, or make an appointment to talk to a school counselor (that’s what they’re there for, after all). Talking through your problems can help you deal with them as well as alleviate the stress associated with them.

Walk it off:

Exercise is an instant and powerful stress reliever. Take an hour to visit STU’s gym, go for free skate on a Thursday night (and bring some friends!), or even do some body weight exercises in the comfort of your dorm or apartment. Anything that gets your blood flowing and your body moving will help melt away your stress and anxiety. Not only will you feel better in the moment, but staying physically active for at least half an hour five days a week will increase your overall health and feelings of well-being. What more could a girl ask for?

Get it done:

If something specific is causing you stress, like that essay that is due in two days, or that project that you have been avoiding since it was assigned, simply tackling the task will work wonders on your stress level. Even getting a good start on an assignment will motivate you to continue working on it. So read the first chapter of that book that’s due next week, or write your opening paragraph for that essay. The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll finish.

And remember:

Just like your deadlines, summer break is fast approaching! You can and will manage to get through this semester, but don’t forget to take care of your mental and physical wellbeing; the rest will follow.

My name is Brynn, and my idea of perfection ranges from settling into bed with a cup of tea and a good book or movie, taking a road trip with family on a sunny day, hiking along a nature trail with a canine companion, or just spending time with great friends, because it's not always about what you're doing, but who you're doing it with!