Sochi 2014: Fearless Female Athletes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

The 2014 Winter Olympics have come and gone, and we’ve seen some pretty spectacular moments during these two weeks in Sochi.  From tense hockey matchups to figure skating controversy, there was rarely a dull moment.

This year there was girl power all around! The female Olympians have had some especially awesome moments during these games. Here is a list of five fearless females in the games.

Marie Philip Poulin

Marie is now known as the savior in the Canada-USA women’s gold medal hockey game. This 22-year-old forward for Team Canada scored the game-tying goal with less than four minutes in the third period. Quebec native went on to score the game-winning goal in overtime, securing the gold medal for the Canadian ladies.  This is her second gold medal with Team Canada; her first one came from the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

Adelina Sotnikova

At the young age of 17, Adelina unexpectedly beat reigning champion Yana Kim from South Korea and won gold in women’s figure skating. She crushed her original highest score in this category at the 2014 Sochi games, and she became Russia’s first Olympic champion in women’s figure skating. How’s that for firsts?

Eva Samkova

This 20-year-old skier from the Czech Republic wore a lucky mustache during her race that was painted on in red, white, and blue – her national colours. Eva dominated every race she won and eliminated the top competitors in her completion!

Jennifer Jones

The Winnipeg-born Canadian curling captain defeated all of her opponents during the games, with Kaitlyn Lawres, Jill Officer and Dawn McEwen on her team. This is the first team in Olympic history to go undefeated at the Olympics. They won gold with a 6-3 score against Sweden.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Mikaela won the women’s slalom event in the 2014 Olympics at the age of 18. She is the youngest person to ever have won this title, and the first American to top the podium since the US won gold in 1972! She was also the youngest person since 1985 to win the world championships in alpine skiing, which took place in Austria last year.

Female athletes have come a long way since the early days. Here’s to more fantastic achievements in 2018 – and beyond!

Hi! My name is Julia and I am a Her Campus Contributor. I'm in my first year at STU and I plan on majoring in Political Sciences and Communications. I love writing, music, tattoos, piercings, politics and current events. I'm hoping to one day be a Political Advisor! Until then I'm happy to write for HerCampus!