6 Reasons We’re Looking Forward to Awards Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

The holidays have long since passed, and the second-semester slump seems inevitable.  What’s one way of dealing with the snow and stress?  Awards season!  The Golden Globes, SAG Awards, and – of course – the Oscars are perfect girls night material.  Put on your comfiest (and cutest) sweats and break out the chips and dip – here’s why we’re looking forward to the most glamorous time of the year!

1. The hosts – We love us some Tina and Amy and are thrilled that they came back to host the Golden Globes.  You can bet we got some Facebook-worthy jokes.  We know we’ll be quoting these funny ladies for the rest of the year.  Speaking of funny ladies, Ellen DeGeneres is this year’s host for the Academy Awards.  After a few years of lackluster hosts (ahem, Anne Hathaway and James Franco), we can’t wait to see what Ellen brings to the stage!
  1. The winners – Everyone’s got a favourite this year, whether it’s the dramatic 12 Years a Slave or the white-knuckle thriller Gravity.  And let’s not forget our favourite TV shows!  Netflix newbie Orange is the New Black has dominated our conversations (and our Twitter feeds!) this year, and fans are hoping to see breakout star Taylor Schilling grab some acting honours.  After Breaking Bad’s dramatic finale in 2013, will it pick up some hardware in its final year?
  1. The Grammys – We can’t forget about the Grammy Awards!  Home to one of the wildest red carpets in awards season (it’s the only show where Lady Gaga can show up in a giant egg and nobody bats an eye).  Expect fun performances from crowd-pleasers like Daft Punk and Kendrick Lamar.  As for nominees, we’re pulling for girl of the year Lorde, who is up for four awards.
  1. The girls – Will Jennifer Lawrence continue her world domination streak?  We can only hope so!  It’s always fun to fawn over your girl crush while they work the red carpet.  Though we might get a little too caught up over how we can’t look as perfect as Emma Stone or J-Law, it’s always nice to dream!
  1. The guys – And how about the man crushes!  There’s nothing we like better than seeing our favourite guys dressed to the nines.  With a role in the nominated film Inside Llewyn Davis, we’re expecting Justin Timberlake to be making a few red carpet appearances this year!  Justin, plus Leonardo DiCaprio, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale… need we go on?
  1. The fashion – The awards ceremony is great, but let’s be honest – we really want to see the dresses!  Luckily, the red carpet always comes first!  While we love to watch Giuliana and Ryan do their thing, it’s even more fun to put on your own version of Fashion Police with your friends.  Who killed it on the carpet?  Who should have stayed home?  Discuss with the girls and sound off on Twitter!
Emma Chapple is a journalism major at St. Thomas University. She is the founding Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus STU.  In addition to HC, Emma also runs her own blog within the Her Campus Blogger Network, and contributes to several online publications.If you want to work with Emma, you can contact her at emmachapple57@gmail.com.