5 Fun & Flavourful Halloween Snacks For A Scary Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

Planning a Halloween party with your girlfriends and need some creative snacks? Thanks to our lovely friend, Pinterest, you can learn how to do these simple and easy appetizers that everyone will enjoy. They’ll get you into the Halloween spirit, and satisfy your taste buds as well!

Vampire Teeth

Ingredients:

• Apples
  • Peanut butter
  • Marshmallows (small)

Let’s Cook:

First, you’re going to need a delicious, shiny, red apple. Red delicious, crabapple, whatever your heart desires. Next, you’re going to cut the apple into eight slices (or four pairs of two).

After that, spread the peanut butter over one side of each apple slice. We’re not going to be picky about this one either – go for Kraft, Skippy, and for the healthy folks, you could even use a natural peanut butter. You can also substitute an allergy-friendly alternative like almond butter or Sunbutter if needed.

After the peanut butter is applied to each half of the apple, you’re going to stick your marshmallow (or teeth) on four of the slices. You should be able to stick on five to six marshmallows, depending on how big your apple is. Once that is done, you attach the other half of the apple on top of the marshmallows. Voila!

Source

Mummy Dogs

Ingredients:

• 1 package of hot dogs
  • 1 cannister of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

Let’s Cook:

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Remove a hot dog out of the package and cut up the centre, starting from the bottom (about less than halfway).

Next, you’ll take the side of your hot dog and cut up, stopping almost to the top, leaving room for a head. Do the same with the other side.

Open up the can of Crescent Rolls. Unroll the dough, take out your knife and cut off small strips of dough. Take those strips and roll it around the hot dog, just like you would a mummy. After you have completed that, place your “mummy” on a non-stick pan and repeat until you’ve run out of dough. Cook for about 10-15 minutes.

Source

Deviled-Egg Pumpkins

Ingredients:

• Eggs
  • Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip (whichever you prefer)
  • Paprika
  • Chives

First, you need to boil your eggs (this will take up to 10 minutes, for that perfect, hard-boiled egg). Once they’re boiled, let them cool in the fridge for about an hour.

Once you have removed your eggs from the fridge, crack them and peel off the shell. Once that is completed, cut your eggs into halves, showing the inside. Take a spoon and carefully remove the yolk from the egg. Place all the yolks into a bowl and mix with your preferred mayonnaise.

Fill the insides of your eggs with the filling you have made. Once that is completed, take your paprika and put a dash onto each half.  Next, cut your chives into small pieces and place on top of the mixture, so that it will stick. Now your eggs will look like tiny pumpkins (how cute is that?).

Source

Witch’s Brooms

Ingredients:

• String cheese
  • Pretzel sticks
  • Chives

Let’s Cook:

Take your cheese string and cut into threes. Take those pieces and start to peel the sides, but make sure you stop halfway!  Next, ake your pretzel stick and place it through the cheese string, but make sure you don’t go all the way through.

After that, take a chive and wrap it around the top part of the cheese string, tying it to look more like a broom.  Mix it up and try different cheese strings (mozzarella, cheddar, marble) for each broom!

Source

Jell-O Blood Worms

Ingredients:

• 2 packages of raspberry Jell-O
  • 3 packets of unflavored gelatin
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 3 cups boiling water
  • 15 drops green food coloring
  • Flexible straws (enough to fill your container tightly)
  • 1 empty milk carton or container

Let’s Cook:

Stretch out the bendy part of all of your straws. Prepare your “worm mold” by placing the straws into your milk carton/container. The tighter they are packed in, the better.

Place the Jell-O and unflavored gelatin in a bowl. Add the boiling water and stir until dissolved.  Let cool to room temperature. Add whipping cream and food coloring and gently stir. Pour the Jell-O mixture into the straws. Refrigerate overnight.

The next day, pinch out a little piece of Jell-O from one end of the straw. Place two or three straws on a hard surface and, with a rolling pin, roll the end of the straw until the worm starts to come out of the straw. Once the worm has started to move out, you’ll be able to use your finger or a tooth pick to take out the rest.

An optional step for you creative folk, take Oreo cookie crumbs and mix them up with the worms to add “dirt!”

Source

Hey! My name is Brittany Lively and I'm a Journalism/ Women and Gender studies major at St. Thomas University. I consider myself a bookworm, if I'm not working on a new story or other homework, I have my head in a book. Growing up in the small community of Geary, I quickly learned to love the idea of writing and the concept of story telling. I believe everyone has a story to tell and I want to share mine with the world. After graduation, I hope to fulfil my dream of working in broadcast journalism in either radio or television. Other than reading and writing, music is something very near and dear to my heart. I believe in the saying, "Music speaks when words can't." Playing the piano for 14 years, I learned at a young age why Beethoven was so depressed when he lost his hearing at a young age.