10 Songs to Get You Through the Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

Each day I like to start my day with some music. And depending on the mood I’m in, the music changes and will change. So, here are some songs that should be on your playlist right now.

1. “FourFiveSeconds” – Rihanna, Kanye West and Paul McCartney

This is a new song from three out-of-this-world talented singer-songwriters. The song has an upbeat tempo that’ll get your booty shaking. There is a vital combination of rap and upbeat melody. Of course, there is also McCartney’s always flawless guitar playing.

2. “Masterpiece” – Jessie J

This is the ultimate self-confidence song. I love it! It’s like, probably one of my favourite songs of all time. And, it has a great beat to keep you listening to the end. You’re all masterpieces, ladies!

3. “Chains” – Nick Jonas

So, I just recently came across this song. I had been listening to “Jealous” which is also a good song, but will not appear on this list, but I felt instantly connected to this one. It’s a deep song – and even if you don’t like the song, Nick Jonas is beautiful to look at.

4. “Style” – Taylor Swift

A playlist would not be complete without Taylor Swift in there. This song is perfect. Even without the James Dean reference you kind of have to love this song. It’s slow but its tempo is the perfect morning song when you brew your morning coffee.

5. “Shake It Off” – Taylor Swift

Yes, another Tay Swift song. But, this one is a good motivator. Shake off the negative emotions, shake off the haters, shake everything off and start the day.

6. “Make It To Me” – Sam Smith

This song is soft and slow. As most of Smith’s songs are, but the strong positive vibe about love in this song could make anyone happy. He’s confident there is someone out there for him. You just have to “keep your head down, and make it to him.”

7. “Uptown Funk” – Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars

Of course this is on my list. What a great song. It’s so catchy and it’s got such a funky vibe. Don’t believe me, just watch!

8. “Shut Up and Dance” – Walk the Moon

What a great dancing song. As Meredith Grey would say, it’s time for a 30-second dance party, right? 30 seconds: go.

9. “Sugar” – Maroon 5

Maroon 5 is, like… everything. They are like my favorite band. So of course they are on my playlist. This song is terribly cute, and “punny.” So, why not? It’s a fast-tempo song which makes it great anytime of the day.

10. “Love Me Like You Do” – Ellie Goulding

Last, but certainly not least, is “Love Me Like You Do.” It’s from the ever-popular Fifty Shades of Grey movie. This song is on the top of the charts, for obvious reasons. Ellie is a beautiful singer and she adds a great quality to the song. It’s an overall great song!

Sometimes we just need a little music to change our day. Rock on, dudes!

Hi! I'm Nathalie Sturgeon. Raised in Miramichi, New Brunswick. I'm a psychology/journalism major at St. Thomas University. I'm excited to contributing to Her Campus STU.