The 10 Best Oscar Dresses Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

The awards show to end all awards shows is almost here!  In anticipation of the 87th Academy Awards this Sunday, we’re looking back on our favourite Oscar gowns of all time (or, at least from the time we actually started watching the red carpet)!  Check out the list and find your fave look:

Beyoncé, 2007

Leave it to Queen Bey to start the list off on a high note.  In 2007, Beyoncé arrived in a mint-green Armani Privé gown and worked the leg slit long before Angelina Jolie.  Looking like the ***Flawless girl she is, this dress could have been a disaster on anyone else.  We’re not saying she gets a free pass because she’s Beyoncé, but this is definitely one look few others could pull off.

Zoe Saldana, 2010

A true love-it-or-hate-it look, Avatar star Zoe Saldana showed up in this purple pom-pom confection from Givenchy.  Personally, this is one of my favourite Oscar looks of all time but for others, the dress just had too much going on.  When so many stars decide to play it safe at the Academy Awards, I definitely appreciate how Zoe went for glamour all while adding in some fun.

Lupita Nyong’o, 2014

We all know that Lupita Nyong’o was a big winner last year for her heart-wrenching turn in 12 Years a Slave, but she also won the top spot on many a fashion critic’s best dressed list.  Proving herself to be the style queen of 2014, Lupita wore a Grecian-inspired Prada gown in a gorgeous shade of blue.  Let’s not forget her simple but stunning accessories.

Reese Witherspoon, 2006

The year’s best actress (for her role in Walk the Line) was also best dressed!  Wearing a 1950s Vintage Dior gown, Reese was the perfect mix of old Hollywood glam and 21st century style.

Jennifer Lopez, 2007

Another winning combination of old school Hollywood with new school cool, Jennifer Lopez came out looking like the Elizabeth Taylor of her generation in 2007.  From the flowy Marchesa gown to her coiffed bob, this look was perfection. For a moment J. Lo made us all forget about the 2000 Grammys.

Penélope Cruz, 2007

2007 was quite the year for Oscar style.  Not only did we get Beyoncé and J. Lo’s gorgeous gowns, we also got Penélope Cruz!  In blush-coloured Atelier Versace, she stood out on the red carpet.  Of course, the real centerpiece here is the larger-than-life feathered skirt.

Halle Berry, 2002

Simply put, this dress is legendary.  That year, Halle Berry became the first black woman to win the Best Actress trophy and wore a dress that would forever embody the Oscars.  While many looks from 2002 haven’t aged well, Halle’s Elie Saab number looks just as fabulous in 2015. 

Mila Kunis, 2011

Another Elie Saab standout, this time on Mila Kunis.  Besides the beautiful shade of lavender, Mila showed us all how to do sexy on the red carpet while still looking like a total class act.  Score one for Mila!

Amy Adams, 2009

Wearing red on a red carpet can always be a gamble, but Amy Adams pulled it off flawlessly in 2009.  Her Carolina Herrera dress had all the right accents in all the right places.  Too-big jewelry is another risky move, but Amy’s multicoloured necklace was just the right accent for her look.  We especially love how her green jewels pop against her dress!

Hilary Swank, 2005

Baby got back – literally!  Million Dollar Baby Hilary Swank took home Oscar gold in this instantly iconic look from Guy Laroche.  Is there a classy way to say, “business in the front, party in the back?”

Emma Chapple is a journalism major at St. Thomas University. She is the founding Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus STU.  In addition to HC, Emma also runs her own blog within the Her Campus Blogger Network, and contributes to several online publications.If you want to work with Emma, you can contact her at emmachapple57@gmail.com.