Uni Must Haves for Autumn/Winter 2016!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

Living in Scotland evidently means we have to strategically plan our outfits for the day. This time of year always causes problems – it can be sunny in the morning and, come late afternoon, its raining and blowing a gale. We need to find a good balance between staying warm on cold mornings in big freezing lectures halls, and trying not to break too much of a sweat climbing up the Strathy hill in a jumper, a scarf and a furry jacket!

So what’s the best balance?  Fortunately, I have just the answer and I’ll be suggesting some higher price pieces and some cheaper alternatives!

Turtlenecks! Invest in a few for the course of the semester! These are ideal for when its chilly but where wearing a scarf might just be too much hassle. I would suggest matching an overlaying dress or a small jumper over the top just to make the outfit more edgy.    

H&M Green Turtleneck £7.99; Zara Navy Turtleneck £19.99

Blanket scarves are my absolute go to at this time of year! Perfect for when you’ve slept in for a lecture and have no time to put together a cosy outfit. Just wrap this around your shoulders over a statement piece coat and you’re on to a winner!

Zara Checked Scarf £22.99; ASOS Pieces Oversized Blanket Scarf £12

If you’re really looking for something to keep you warm this season, investing in a good puffer jacket is a great choice – they are really versatile and can be worn with jeans and even a a skirt! if you’re like me and own every shade of black, trying out a statement leather jacket will break up the neutral tones in your wardrobe, plus it means no effort to add a pop of colour to an outfit!

Topshop Puffball Jacket £110; Zara Colourful Biker Jacket £49.99

Everyone should really have a few good pairs of ankle boots in their wardrobe! Flat and heeled boots are perfect for styling up a pair of skinny jeans or a long skirt with a baggy knitted jumper! Effortless look with a glamorous touch.

Public Desire Emily Sock Fit Boots £39.99; Zara Leather Ankle Boots £69.99

Finally, accessories are a must to complete any outfit. However, it’s not always the morning priority to find matching jewellery – so instead I usually add details such as nice belts and neck ties which I can also stick on my bag just to add that extra little bit of detail to make an outfit different each time you want to re-wear it.

Urban Outfitters Mens’ Black Bandana (can be worn as neck tie or accessory for bags) £7; ASOS Double Buckle Belt £20