Summer Music Festivals: Home or Away?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

The UK has a lot to offer when it comes to a summer music scene – from iconic festivals like that of Glastonbury or Reading to emerging festivals like Wilderness – we’ve certainly got plenty of choice. However, there’s that one major flaw which affects so many UK festival goers (especially in Scotland) and that’s the good old fashioned, temperamental British weather. Well, there’s no need to worry about having to buy a raincoat and wellies when you travel to the Benicasim festival in sunny Spain. Here’s all of the reasons that you need to make Benicasim your festival of choice in summer 2017!

The Line-Up Is Amazing

Despite Benicasim being a Spanish music festival, the line-up isn’t all Spanish acts – you’ll find bands and artists you love and have always wanted to see throughout the whole weekend. They’ve had everyone from Florence and the Machine to Major Lazer to Biffy Clyro so all music tastes are covered. You’ll find the same level of diversity in music genres as you would at any British festival with a few lesser known Spanish and European acts thrown in there too. You’ll probably end up loving them way more than any of the acts you actually came to see!

There’s A Beach

What more could you want? A music festival that’s a walk away from 6 kilometres of gorgeous, sandy beaches so you can laze around sunbathing, playing bat and ball and maybe even starting pre-drinks early by having a cocktail in one of the restaurants and bars along the promenade before heading to the festival at night. It’s also the perfect way to spend those days where you’re feeling a bit more delicate and need some peace and quiet by the sea.

You Don’t Need To Camp

Camping isn’t for all of us, the sheer thought of sleeping in a tent and living out of a rucksack can send shudders down many of our spines but at Benicasim, this doesn’t have to be your festival reality. There are dozens of affordable hotels and apartments which you and your friends can all stay in throughout the festival and as a returning Benicasim festival-goer, I have yet to have a bad experience within one of the hotels yet. You can have a shower every day, have your bedsheets changed and have the luxury of hanging up those pre-planned festival outfits. Bliss, right?

There’s Sun – A Lot of Sun

The biggest difference between Benicasim and a British music festival, is the sun. In Benicasim, the sun is virtually guaranteed every day – something which is unheard of at home – so you won’t end up freezing by the final act. You won’t even need to concern yourself with reapplying sun cream or taking some time out in the shade as you dance around the festival, because Benicasim is held at night so that everyone can enjoy the festival without the worry of heatstroke or sunburns. And let’s face it, no one wants their makeup melting off their face before the first act even comes on, it truly is the best of both worlds!

Business student at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.