Say Goodbye to Helmet Hair and Hello to the Invisible Bike Helmet!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

What’s the worst thing about cycling?

Well, it’s certainly not the fuel savings, it can’t be the extra exercise, or the feeling that you are doing that wee bit of good for the planet, and it’s definitely not the satisfaction of whizzing through gridlocked traffic during rush hour.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say sporting a helmet is the the worst thing about cycling: helmets just aren’t cool. I can say for myself, I don’t always find it comfortable wearing a helmet when riding my bike and it seems to detract an element of freedom when zooming down Sauchiehall St to catch a lecture. Of course, bike helmets are essential for safety, especially for urban cycling when the road can turn into a battlefield. But with wearing a helmet comes the dreaded helmet hair- you just can’t avoid it.

That’s where the invisible helmet comes in. Anna Haupt and Terese Alsti have created the Hövding helmet which will protect your head but won’t leave you looking Boris Johnson. It’s basically a fashionable snood which blends into your winter coat but I won’t give away how it works- I’ll leave that up to the video because you really have to see it to believe it (pun intended).

It currently retails at £337, which is a lot of money to fork out to avoid helmet hair…wonder if they do student discounts?