Style > Beauty

Is it too late for natural beauty?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

Over the past few months there has been controversy over photo-shopping models and the body image that is projected to women and in particular young girls.

The video below shows just how easy it is for photos to be manipulated to sell a particular body image and the product associated with it.

In the last few years major magazines have refused to Photoshop celebrities  such as Marie Claire in 2010 with the cover of Jessica Simpson, Intelligent Life and Cate Blanchett in 2012 and Verily Magazine’s ban on airbrushing as their mandate states “Whereas other magazines artificially alter images in Photoshop to achieve the so-called ideal body type or leave a maximum of three wrinkles, Verily never alters the body or face structure of the Verily models.” Co-Founders of Verily, Kara Eschbach and Janet Sahm believe that “the unique features of women, whether crows feet, freckles, or a less-than-rock-hard body, are aspects that contribute to women’s beauty and should be celebrated — not shamed, changed or removed.”

Aerie, American Eagle’s sister store for lingerie, is the most recent addition to the fight for natural beauty as they have launched aerie Real, a Spring 2014 ad campaign featuring all unairbrushed models. With this aerie announced that the ads are “challenging supermodel standards by featuring unretouched models in their latest collection of bras, undies and apparel.” Highlighting models in this way is a bold step that most fashion brands and fashion magazines, seldom make.

By doing this Aerie are promoting a more natural and healthier image for women today whilst showing that women can still be beautiful without the use of artificial processing images

Will this catch on and make a difference of womens body image or is it too little too late? 

Photp Credits:

fstoppers.com