element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

Ask my editor and good friend, I have had in the first three years of my degree one of the most eventful love lives. I’ve mixed up friendship with feelings, pulled that guy in the club and had an interesting experience this past new year which although fun the least said about it the better.   All in the search for someone who makes me feel like Bridget Jones when Mark Darcy said “I like you just the way you are.” Let’s be honest we all want that and if you’re like me you came to uni expecting to find him in the bedroom next door thanks to programmes like Fresh Meat.

However, little did I know that, that guy was sitting in my local pub at home, ninety miles away.

Now I know ninety miles isn’t the furthest distance, last term my friend was doing a long distance relationship from Glasgow to Brisbane but it doesn’t mean it’s not hard. However here are a few ways and means to cope with the distance.

Number one: Communication.

It’s one of those things that people always tell you but to survive the distance, in fact in any relationship, you really have to communicate.  Snapchat is great for it, but texting and phone calls are also the perfect ways. Also take it as a chance to get romantic and write letters.  Sometimes the old way is the best way.

Number two: Arrange visits.

Whether that’s you going to them or you going to them, arranging visits is a great coping mechanism, because it gives you something to look forward to, especially when you have deadlines. It also means that you get to plan fun things and you always have a great time with your other half because you don’t have the time to not getting on.

Number three: Take each day as it comes.

Some days will be easy and some days will be really hard for missing each other but that’s when communication is key. There is no point getting all caught up in yesterday in a long distance relationship, you just got to keep looking forward.

Yes distance is hard, and yes it sucks but at the end of the day absence makes the heart grow fonder and if he’s worth it, it’s worth it. 

Photo Credits:

i4.mirror.co.uk

www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk

contently.com

21. History, cake and rugby player fanatic.