Claire Sally: Candidate for Vice President of Activities and Development 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

Why did you decide to run for Vice President of Activities and Development this year?

I have been involved with USSA for 3 years now, and I have seen three VPAD’s in work. I have always wanted to be the VP Activities and Development since I first got involved with the Union and as I will be leaving University this year, I wanted to run as VPAD so my time on campus doesn’t have to end and I can do something I am passionate about for a year.

What does the Vice President of Activities and Development do? 

The VP Activities and Development is in charge of encouraging students to get involved with clubs/societies and activities outside their degree.  The VPAD is a support to current clubs and societies and those looking to start a new one. The Development side of the VPAD role is for ensuring that students develop valuable skills from doing extracurricular activities which can lead to the students showing diverse skills when it comes to employment.

Have you been involved in the Union before?

I am highly involved in the Union, I first got involved as part of the Welcome Team in 2011 which help students get settled into Fresher’s week and University life. I have been a member of the Welcome Team for 3 years and from this I have been involved in many other societies at the Union. I am a Strath Guide – this means going into secondary schools and guiding those students who are considering University as to what to do and how to make the best of their experience. I have been involved in RAG this year, I am the current Vice Chair of Activities and Development which is a part-time voluntary role but allows me to sork closely with the current executive and staff within USSA. I am also President of the English Literature society which is a brand new society a few of us set up this year. So yeah, I have pretty much done it all in the Union so far!

What changes do you want to see made?

The main change I would like to see made is the status of the Union itself across campus. Not many students are directly involved with the Union and I feel that this should be something to be discussed as there are obviously barriers stopping them from getting involved. This could be from promotion of clubs and socieites across campus – as stated in my manifesto for VPAD this is something I would work on as I feel it is so important to get the Union out on campus a bit more – to thinking of ways to get students into to the Union, such as showcases which publicise the Union’s activities a bit more.

What sets you apart from the other candidates?

Tough question. I feel that I am a well-rounded person. I am very approachable and lively but I can also be serious when I need to be. I have an extensive amount of experience within the Union that others may not have. In my Vice Chair role, I am a trustee of the union and attend meetings regarding the Unions development as a whole, which allows me to already have the inside knowledge that other candidates may not.

I am extremely passionate about this position and I feel like my experience and enthusiasm sets me apart from the other candidates.

Why should students vote?

It is the Student’s Union – so students have a massive input and your vote decides who gets put into these SAAB positions for the year and will represent you. It is so important for students to vote because it does affect you.

When and where can students vote?

Students can vote right now and up until Friday at 5pm on Pegasus.

Any advice for anyone thinking of running in the next election?

Do it! It is a great experience if anything. It is a great opportunity to see how student politics work and if you are successful then even better!

Any advice for anyone thinking of getting involved in the Union?

Anyone can be involved in the Union’s activities. It is so easy to do. Students can find out from other students about volunteering or if they are keen on volunteering and don’t know quite how to go about it, level 7 on the Union is the student involvement zone where there numerous staff able to help you out.

If you are thinking of getting involved in the Union activities then I would strongly recommend it. I can honestly say the skills I have took from being involved with USSA are beneficial and are life-long.