City Series: Liège, Belgium

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

While tempted to only visit the busy capitals when travelling, we must not forget about the other equally charming cities the country has to offer!

Liège – located in Belgium’s French-speaking region – attracts tourists from afar and  holds the title of ‘Most Visited City in Wallonia’. The city boasts unconventional architecture, it captures you with its Belgian charm and oozes ‘joie de vivre’!

Here are some unmissable opportunities to add to your ever-growing ‘to-do’ travel list!

• Liège-Guillemins Train Station This train station is an absolute masterpiece! The quirky, ambitious architectural beauty is a must see.
  • Place du Marché Need to stop for a coffee (or something stronger – what about a Belgian beer??) after all of your exploring… well look no further! The buzzing Place du Marché offers all you could need, with the lively atmosphere and breathtaking views of sculptured fountains.
  • Liège Waffle You cannot visit Liège without indulging in one of these sweet treats! This world-famous sugary delight is an absolute must!
  • La collégiale Saint-Barthélemy Another visual beauty to gaze at upon your travels. This quirky architecture and paint work places La collégiale Saint-Barthélemy  on the list of the official ‘7 Wonders of Belgium’!

So… catch a flight, and hop on a train to Liège-Guillemins! We promise this charming city shall not disappoint!!

Make sure to follow @HerCampusStrath on Twitter and Instagram and Like our Facebook page!

I'm Marjorie, studying towards a BA Hons Degree in International Business. I have always lived in Glasgow and love what it has to offer in terms of shopping, restaurants and nightlife! In September 2016, I embarked on my international exchange to Milan, Italy for 4 months which I absolutely loved!! Studying abroad allowed me to meet some lovely new friends, taste delicious food and visit beautiful lakes and cities nearby. I love going out with friends, getting dressed up, trying new things and meeting new people!