City Series: Budapest, Hungary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

“Straddling the Danube River, with the Buda Hills to the west and the Great Plain to the east, Budapest is a gem of a city.”

– Lonely Planet- 

Where to visit…

Budapest is a big city and is jam-packed with things to do and sights to see. So, in order to squeeze Budapest into a weekend break, here are some of the main attractions which you simply cannot miss!

Firstly, you most definitely must pop down to the Danube river where you will be able to look over to Gellért hill and see the Liberty Statue. If you have time, walk up the hill to the statue and you will be rewarded with breathtaking, Instagram-worthy views of the city.

Furthermore, since Budapest is famously known for them, you must make a trip to the Budapest spas. In particular, Szechenyi Baths are guaranteed to cleanse you of all of the stresses of uni!

Where to eat…

If you’re a foodie, you will not be disappointed with the selection of food available in Budapest. Whilst there are eateries on every corner of the city, you will need to research to find the best ones. One of which is the restaurant located outside Buda Castle, serving delicious food with views of the whole city!

Where to drink…

There are more bars than you can imagine dotted around Budapest, all quirky and unique and different from the last. However, you must visit the most well-known ruin bar, Szimpla Kert as this will give you a real taste of the edgy city that is Budapest!

Where to stay…

If you are considering staying in a hostel, then you will not be disappointed by the Hive hostel. It is not only a clean and comfortable, but it has a great bar open late, perfect for meeting other travelers! 

Make sure to follow @HerCampusStrath on Twitter and Instagram and Like our Facebook page!