burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best and Worst Fashion Looks from The Met Gala 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

So last night marked date of the infamous Met Gala held in new York City. It is one of the most coveted fashion events of the year, so it is kind of a big deal when celebrities dress to impress or commit to one of fashion’s biggest faux pas. With a theme of ‘avant-garde’, we expected to see some new innovative clothing pieces and ways of styling such pieces. What might seem like extraordinary high fashion breakthroughs to some, may seem a little too out of the ordinary for others. So, we have given our round up of the hottest and not so hottest looks from this years event! 

Best Dressed

Selena Gomez

Selena looks goregously elegant in this number. It flatters her enviable figure, has subtle detail and compliments her glowing skin beautifully. The pop of pink eyeshadow gives the look an edgy twist and definitely rates her high on the style stakes. 

Kylie Jenner

Does Miss Jenner ever fail to impress? The simple answer is no. This one of a kind dress is eye catching, unique and has an observably high degree of craftsmanship. Kylie looks even more unrecongisable from her earlier teenage days with shorter, bleach blonde hair and we can say that we are officially loving the look!

Cara Delevinge 

Ok, we can’t say we would exactly rush to buy this suit to recreate the look. BUT, Cara being a world famous supermodel can definitely pull it off! She has perfectly nailed the theme, in her ‘out of this world’ inspired two piece degined by Chanel. Combined with silver body paint and nails, this has by far got to be one of our most favourite, contemporary looks of the night.

Kim Kardashian West

Would it even be a best dressed list if KKW wasn’t on it? We think not. Kim debued the new sleek, shorter hair do on The Ellen Show last week and we are loving her new no fuss look. This is definitely a more low key look for Kim in comparison to what she has wore to the Gala in previous years, nonetheless the bardot style totally flatters her curves and the crisp white colour makes her look even more bronzed!

Worst Dressed

Dakota Johnson

Unfortunately Dakota did not nail it this time. In our opinion her outfit is a bit, well a bit busy. Understandably, ruffles are a huge trend right now however combining the ruffles on the upper half of the dress with the lower half of the dress is a bit overwhelming. Also, her simple makeup look is rather unforgettable. Our advice to Dakota is make it less 50 shades of boring next time…

Rihanna

We think Rihanna’s facical expression says it all really. We have all been there when we have worn a really uncomfortable outfit on a nightout and regretted it ever since we stepped foot outside, and we think thats exactly the traumatic ordeal Rihanna faced last night. Also, her makeup gives us ‘child playing with her mum’s makeup’ vibes. 

Pharell Williams and Helen Lasichanh 

Pharell, you look ok. We’re afraid it is your plus one who has everyone talking. Just what on earth is she wearing! We think that this indescribable outfit never has and never will be fashionable. 

Katy Perry 

2 things spring to mind. Katy, what were you thinking and do you even own a mirror? Just a little reminder for you… it was the Met Gala and not a Halloween Party you know! 

Make sure to follow @HerCampusStrath on Twitter and Instagram and Like our Facebook page!

Hi, my name is Caitlin and I am a third year BA (Hons) International Business student currently majoring in Marketing and Entrepreneurship. I am a lover of all things beauty and makeup related and in my spare time I love to read fashion and beauty blogs to keep up with the latest trends. I am also a keen traveller, having spent 4 months studying in Montreal, Canada last year which was the best experience of my life to date!