5 Films and TV Shows for You AND Your Other Half to Enjoy!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

We’ve all been there – the insufferable argument over what to watch with your significant other. You want a rom-com; they’d rather an action-packed thriller. Or maybe it’s the other way around. Either way, this list of movies and TV shows is guaranteed to satisfy both of your cinematic needs!

1.      Kick-Ass/ Kick-Ass 2

Don’t trust your prior judgements believing these to be ‘just another superhero franchise’ – in reality, these films are a perfect mix of laugh-out-loud humour, perfectly executed action and heartwarming emotion. Following the story of a schoolboy deciding to take action against everyday antagonists, these movies are a definite pleaser for anyone looking for a lighthearted and interesting experience. They also features eye candy in the form of Aaron Taylor-Johnson and a strong injection of girl-power from Chloё Grace Moretz.

2.      The Office (US)

A hilarious sitcom following the lives of a group of office workers. Watching this show is an emotional rollercoaster – you’ll find yourself laughing one minute and in tears the next. Office sweethearts Jim and Pam provide plenty of “awwwwwww” moments throughout each series, and boss Michael Scott (Steve Carrell) is likely to make you cry with laughter in every episode. Strinking the perfect balance between offering brilliant humour and maintaining the viewer’s emotional involvement, this show is sure to win anyone over.

3.      The Great Gatsby

A story that many will be familiar with from their high-school studies, but made even more interesting with the addition of everyone’s favourite actor, Leonardo DiCaprio. The vintage glamour and charm of this film – set in 1920s’ New York City – makes it both visually and musically interesting (the soundtrack is out-of-this-world amazing!) and the story is bound to tug on your heartstrings.

4.      Shrek

If you’re a fan of animated films, look no further than the Shrek franchise. Colourful and unique, these films, while still following the classic structure of a fairytale, are alternative in the way that they appeals to all genders and ages. With four films to choose from, these movies provide a marathon you’ll be willing to repeat over and over – trust us!

5.      Dexter

If you’re over comedies and are looking for something slightly more sinister, this dark and thrilling TV show will be exactly to your taste! Showing a more human side to a serial killer, the show follows Dexter Morgan, a blood spatter analyst living in Miami, who moonlights as a murderer. In order to maintain working to his “moral code”, Dexter kills only those who have committed crimes themselves. This is definitely an interesting show, and one you won’t be able to stop yourself from binge-watching all day in bed!

We hope this list will ease your decision-making process – let us know what movies and TV shows you and your partner agree on!