This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

If you, like myself and my friend, want to squeeeeezzzzeee every city across the whole of Europe into 1 months interrailing trip, you will most likely touch down in cities with only 24 hours to spare!

There are about 30,000 things to do in Madrid, and trying to cover the main sites in 1 day is not easy, so here is an itinerary to make your short visit in Madrid spectacular:

El Retiro Park

A must when visiting Madrid.  You have probably come across the millions of Instagram photos of tourists on rowing boats, well this is thee park! At 6 euros per boat for 1 hour of attempted rowing around a pond, it is the best and cheapest attraction in the city.

Museo de Jamón

After all that rowing you’ll have built up an appetite for some traditional Spanish ham. These ‘museums’ (basically ham bars) are dotted around the centre of Madrid and are where all the local Spaniards go to get their favourite ‘cerveza’ (beer) and ‘Bocadillo de Jamón’ (ham sandwich). We took our Mexican friend with us who was able to order and make sense of the Spanish for us – absolutely disgraceful for 2 students studying Spanish! Anyways for a tapas sized beer and a ham sandwich it is only €3,50, making it the cheapest traditional delicacy!

Museo del Prado/ Madrid Royal Palace and Cathedral

After all the food you may feel the need to walk it off and take in some culture. Museo del Prado has one of Europe’s finest art collections, so if this is your scene it is a must! (Be prepared for queues). The Palace and Cathedral are stunning and definitely worth a peek!

San Gines

Did I hear churros!? After a wander around the exquisite Plaza mayor, head across the road to Calle Mayor for Madrid’s BEST churros, and swoon over the gorgeous Spanish boys while you devour a plate of deep fried donut sticks! Healthy.

Temple Debod

The most peculiar, yet beautiful, attraction…. an ancient Egyptian temple! Take a visit in the evening when the sun is setting, this is the best time for photos. You may even want to join in on all the patter with the Spanish youths, who hang around here with their castanets and guitars like mini mariachi bands…. I wish this was true.

Sobrino de Botín

More food you say? Indeed, my trip did revolve around the food, but this is a restaurant that cannot be missed!! Being the oldest in the world, opening in 1725, you could not get more traditionally Spanish if you tried. Specialities include roast suckling pig and everything else that can be roast suckling… The typical sangria jugs make it difficult to record how much you have gulped down, but you’re on holiday so it’s okay! Book far in advance and be prepared to eat at bizarre times. You may even finally get a glimpse at a proper mariachi band after all the anticipation!