15 Things To Do In Glasgow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

Whether it is your last year at Strathclyde or your first one here is the quintessential list of things to do in Glasgow!

1.     Spend an afternoon at the Glasgow German Market. This great little market always pops up once or twice between November and Christmas time in Glasgow, based at St.Enoch square it features a great selection of different foods from all over and some cute little market stalls!

2.     A night out or an afternoon spent on Ashton Lane is a must! This cute little cobbled road tucked neatly behind Byres Road in the West End is a real gem in the city. It’s is lined on both sides with bars, pubs, restaurants and even a cinema where you can chill on a sofa with a bottle of wine! It’s easy to get to either by Subway or bus.

3.     Speaking of the Subway, one thing you definitely need to try is a Glasgow tradition. A Sub-crawl…basically you buy an all-day pass and stop off at 12 of the subway stops, there is 15 stops in total however 3 of the stops don’t have a pub nearby. Warning this Sub-crawl is not for the faint hearted but it is an infamous Glasgow student tradition that needs to be undertaken by you and your friends, Good Luck!

4.     Check out the Barrowlands market in the Merchant City, it is a real treasure trove of stalls featuring everything you can imagine plus you get a real sense of the ‘Glasgow Banter!’

5.    Have a girly night out in Princes Square, it is beautiful inside and has a huge selection of yummy bars and restaurants to try out! So go get glammed up with the gals and hit the town.

6.     After hitting the town take a stroll through Royal Exchange Square home of the Duke of Wellington statue famous for his traffic cone hat but also features some really beautiful lights illuminating the whole square.

7.     Go ice skating at George Square, now this only occurs at Christmas but is a experience you definitely have to try! Once the skating is over pop into the drinks tent for some mulled wine and soak up the atmosphere!

8.     Go and check out the live venues in town and see a gig. With venues like King Tut’s, the O2 ABC to the O2 Academy and defo the Barrowlands Ballroom affectionately known as the ‘Barras’.

9.     Check out the Glasgow Film Theatre, a really great venue that hosts classic movie nights and screenings of great independent films.

10.  Again this is really another December based activity but you have to go see a Panto at the Pavilion, cheesy yes, but the building is famous in Glasgow and the shows do entertain! Trust me I have been to my fair share of pantos, and oh yes I am not ashamed of this!

11.  If you are a fan of Charles Rennie MacIntosh your should go and visit the Lighthouse museum and visit the observation deck and see an incredible view of Glasgow. And afterwards pop around the corner to the Willow Tea Rooms for high tea and cakes in the MacIntosh inspired tea room.

12.  Okay so this isn’t technically in Glasgow, but 20 minutes outside the city is the beautiful scenery of Loch Lomond and the Trossachs. The area is filled with wonderful little pubs and restaurants to visit but also and abundance of great nature walks to leave you in awe of Scotland’s beauty.

13.  If you are a nature buff, why not visit one of Glasgow’s beautiful parks, either for a brisk winter walk or a day spent in the summer sun. With places to pick like Kelvingrove Park, Botanic Gardens, Pollock Park, Glasgow Green, Queens Park, Bellahouston Park and the Royal Botanical Gardens.

14.  What Glasgow has a great selection of, is its museums. Kelvingrove, Riverside and the People’s Palace are a few wonderful places to visit filled with great exhibitions and fun artefacts to view and even better they are all FREE to visit!

15.  Finally Glasgow also has a great selection of free Art Museums to visit too! The Huntarian, Burrell and GOMA are all great places to visit filled with new and old pieces of art!

So go on get stared crossing off your Glasgow Bucket List, and enjoy this brilliant city! 

Photo credits:

www.visitscotland.com

www.glasgowguide.com

Strathclyde University student in Third year studying History.