legally blonde icky valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
legally blonde icky valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MGM

You Should Still Enjoy Valentine’s Day If Your Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

The marketing scheme of February 14th is just around the corner. However, that doesn’t mean if you are single you shouldn’t spread a little love. 

I’ve never once had a valentine, minus the expected pity gifts from my family. And that’s not to say they don’t mean love and appreciation. The set precedent thought is that the day is primarily targeted for having a special someone. 

No one controls that the ‘special someone’ can’t be yourself. It’s even better if you include your friends who would also be spending Tuesday night crying to rom-coms. 

Save you and your beautiful friends from stalking your exes. You can end Valentine’s Day feeling a bit more loved.

1. It’s ok to give yourself some gifts. Even buy something for your friends.

A corny chocolate heart or a tennis bracelet (depending on your budget) can go a long way for someone to feel loved, even yourself. Show some love through buying that item that’s been sitting in your shopping cart or a gift for a friend. Everyone deserves to be loved. 

2. Take yourself out on a solo date or make it a group meal. 

Whether you have a peaceful brunch or savory dinner, haven’t you heard the stomach is the way to someone’s heart? Go to your favorite coffee shop or bring some friends to a local restaurant. Everybody likes food.  

3. This deflects what I said before: Watch all the romantic comedies you want. 

A classic heartfelt movie of mine is Valentine’s Day. Make a movie night alone or with your friends to laugh and cry about being alone, just make sure they won’t judge you for hogging the tissue box. 

4. Don’t be afraid to tell yourself and your favorite people you appreciate them. 

Words of Affirmation mean the world when it comes from someone you least expect, even telling yourself. We don’t always give ourselves the credit we deserve, so don’t be afraid to say ‘You’re doing great, keep going’.

5. Do a Valentine’s Day Photoshoot.

Break up the boring Instagram feed of couples with group pictures or get someone to take some of you. Get your favorite outfit on or coordinate some red and pink pieces with your friends for a fun occasion. 

Now, the last idea may end up getting you a valentine by the end of the day, because all of you are beautiful people. Remember you are loved. Remember a relationship doesn’t define who you are. 

Have a lovely Valentine’s Day! 

Melanie Karniewich

Stony Brook '25

Melanie Karniewich is the Vice President of Her Campus Stony Brook and a junior Journalism major with a minor in Film and Screen Studies at Stony Brook University. You can always find her reading rom-com novels, watching mystery movies, and of course writing.