Why You Should Learn Another Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to speak two languages. Growing up I always spoke Spanish at home with my family, and I perfected my English at school. When I began to take foreign language classes in middle school, I decided to learn Italian to expand my boundaries. Although I am definitely not fluent or as comfortable with Italian, it’s fun to try to speak it every now and then. Even though the process might not be the easiest, just attempting to do it can be a gratifying and enjoyable experience.

I know many people who plan to travel either during or after college. Being able to speak the language of the country you want to visit, even it it’s just being able to carry a basic conversation and know a couple of keywords words can go a long way. By being able to speak to anyone in your country of choice, you can find places you’d never heard of, try some new food, and have some unforgettable experiences.​

Another great reason to download a language learning app? Being bilingual leads to more job opportunities. In an increasingly competitive global market, companies are searching for employees that have an edge. Hundreds of languages are spoken across America. If an employee can converse in just one of those languages with a potential customer, it’ll be seen as a huge advantage. Plus, with only 17% of Americans being able to speak another language (compared to 56% of Europeans), you are definitely going to be seen as being a step above your competition!

In a school like Stony Brook, where many students from across the world come to study, being able to speak another language could create new friendships. It can be tough living in another country where you don’t speak the language perfectly. Having someone to reach out to you can make all the difference, and create lifelong friendships!​

Being able to speak more than one language has so many benefits. So why not break out of your comfort zone and try something new? One thing is for sure: you won’t regret it!

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor