Why I’m hyped for MOTOE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Huh? What’s MOTOE?

The public outcry for a woman who disappeared for 11 days after her husband announced that he loved another woman. Police searches and claims of suicide or even murder. This woman was brilliant and absolutely precious to her followers and they wanted the truth. Although the disappearance remained and remains a mystery to this day, she returned after 11 days. Who was this woman that stirred such chaos with her absence? This is a woman who was known and appraised throughout the world for her one of a kind, fascinating articulation in writing. Agatha Christie was one of the most prolific writers in the 1900’s, who began reading and writing at the age of five and has written over 70 crime and mystery novels. Several movies and plays have been released on her writing and are displayed on her official webpage.

MOTOE is short for Murder on the Orient Express, one of my all-time favorite works of Agatha Christie’s which is now being released on the bic screen on November 10th. The excitement in the book itself was that of the reappearance of Hercule Poirot, a renowned detective in Agatha’s books and a character that has appeared in 33 of her stories. In this movie, the character of Poirot is played by Kenneth Branagh and I can’t wait to see how that plays out. The other part of the frenzy is with the cast and specifically with the starring of Johnny Depp as the character, Ratchett.

Johnny Depp has yet to disappoint me with his acting throughout all these years and I’m glad to know that he’s being cast in this movie alongside Penelope Cruz, their first reunion after Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides! Some of the other sensational casts in this movie include Daisy Ridley, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Judi Dench.

Initially, I started with the book, And Then There Were None back in high school and remembered falling in love with not only the book but also the style of Agatha Christie’s writing. She was someone who had a wealth of knowledge about many different people, places, their slangs, their norms, occupations, behaviors, and so on, paying extra attention to every minute detail. Her work made me feel as though I were present in her stories and reliving moments I was never a part of. I also felt as though I had the opportunity to step back into time and get a glimpse of how people lived around the world during the timeframe of her characters, instilling in me a desire to travel and see all these places that she described. I started falling into the carefully devised craft of hers and just as she’d planned; I either start doubting every single character or the characters she’d planned as a decoy.

Nevertheless, her stories have always been exciting to me and I’m taking my time reading through her works one by one so as to cherish every detail. I watched the movie based on And Then There Were None and thought it was well-portrayed. The only other movie/show relating to her work that I enjoyed watching since was the series on Netflix based on the novel, Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Only after my first reading of her book in high school did I realize that she was both mine and my father’s favorite author. Ever since, her work has been something that we have bonded over and now, my father is just as excited as I for this movie.  

Stacy Ebby

Stony Brook

Stacy is a curious student of this unknown world on a journey to bring together diverse, beautiful people through the practice of love, patience and generosity.
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.