What They Don’t Tell You About Being a Psychology/Sociology Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Growing up, you spend most of your childhood and adolescence pondering on what profession you would lie to do for the rest of your life. In high school, as we are applying to colleges, we somewhat get an idea of what each major is going to entail and the possible careers that may bloom through that. STEM majors pride themselves in the long hours that they go without sleeping, and the rigorous hard work they have to endure. Imagine a “major hierarchy” where at the top the kings of the social strata are STEM majors, and at the bottom of the pole are humanities and social science majors.

Psychology and sociology may be thought of as easy majors; a simple act of learning about the human psyche and societies whose grading system is nothing but gibberish. Easy A, as many would say. But as a transfer student of Stony Brook University, I can honestly say that this college can humble you real quick, even as a psychology and sociology double major. So if you’re considering pursuing either of those majors, here is the reality of being a social science student. 

1. Most of your classes are huge, ranging from 100-300 students. ​Now you may already be used to that with other courses, but when learning about the human mind in a class so large, and you find yourself confused, you’re kinda in an uncomfortable spot. Office hours are available, but when they do not match with your schedule, then you’re stuck in a weird spot.

2. There’s a lot of reading. Expect to spend hours reading chapters about classic sociologists like Marx and Durkheim, or trying to comprehend a thirty-page psychology study that if you’re like me, and you procrastinate, you try to cram multiple of, a few days before the exam. Time management and coffee are key as a social science student. Starbucks’ iced hazelnut latte, I love you.

3. If your professor is a lead researcher in the course that you’re taking, get ready to have extremely high expectations placed on you. Most likely they will not post the lecture slides, and their midterms will make you feel like you’re back in high school taking the SATs. Make sure you don’t miss class.

4. Most likely, you’re going to have to participate in psychology experiments as a course requirement. When you sign up, make sure you remember what day and which experiment you signed up for. Some professors take off points if you do not show up for your experiment, so only sign if you’re sure you’re going to follow through. A planner can help with that.

5. Office hours are always empty. I have been a TA for a sociology course, and I would spend my office hours doing my own homework, because no one ever reached out, besides the days we held midterm review sessions. If you’re ever confused in class, take advantage of office hours; someone is out there ready to help.

6. Psychology and sociology are not as easy as people paint it out to be in the media. The classes are pretty interesting and require a lot of critical thinking skills and memorization. Expect to have a midterm and multiple assignments due every single week during every semester.

I am a 21 year old AfroLatina interested in all things fashion, beauty, and advocating for social justice.
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.