Career > Work

What It’s Like Owning Your Own Small Business In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Made By Lara Spencer is my small business and it’s the best adventure I’ve taken yet! I have evolved so much as a girl boss since I opened my Etsy shop and it’s been so gratifying!

Any college student has the opportunity to create their own successful business. I have learned this from experience. In May 2021, I graduated from Suffolk County Community College (SCC) with my Associate’s Degree in Liberal Arts. I had a get-together with family and friends to celebrate. To thank everyone for their support on the first half of my college journey, I created custom wine glasses with different vinyl cutouts that were custom to each person. I was so enthusiastic about giving everyone an item that I made. At this point, they were encouraging me to create an Etsy shop. I was just a college kid with a Cricut, how would I learn the machine on top of  opening a shop? Of course, my family and friends loved my work. I was flattered. But, I figured doing this on a regular basis would be a massive undertaking.

A week later, I clicked open shop on Etsy, and my shop, MadeByLaraSpencer was born but I wasn’t selling wine glasses (yet).  I have always been a creative person since I was a kid. I loved making collages, cutting up old magazines of my favorite stars. Or, jewelry I could wear. I even created a lighted vanity for myself with an old mirror. I love creating, but it takes a lot of work to turn a hobby into a business. 

My next academic journey took me to Stony Brook University. I planned to study Mass Communications. The summer between my SCC graduation and my next academic journey at SBU is when my small business was born. That’s the summer I trusted myself enough to take that leap. And at this point, you’re probably still wondering what I have been selling! 

Through my love for the television series One Tree Hill, I saw a bracelet Nathan gave Haley in season 1, episode 3. Nathan Scott said the iconic line, “Don’t say I never gave you anything,” while opening a Cracker Jack box with the bracelet as the prize. They are sitting on the Riverwalk of Wilmington, NC overlooking the Cape Fear River. The rest of their relationship was history. The bracelet is referred to as the “Naley” bracelet. 

I made one for myself in 2015 after discovering the series, as many fans have. I posted the first one on my One Tree Hill fan page on Instagram, @stuckintreehilll. I now have 15.4 thousand fellow One Tree Hill fans and followers to connect with. Messages came rolling in from potential customers. It was my time to shine. 

I created a replica bracelet inspired by what Nathan gave Haley to sell. It consists of bright pink beads and pearls. In addition to the flowers, hearts, and butterfly beads to create a perfect “Naley” bracelet. It was so satisfying creating something with meaning for so many fans. I made sure I was creating a quality item people would enjoy. It was only the beginning.  My Instagram fan page is another way I use my creative energies. This platform is where I promote all of my items. 

I started listing more bracelets I came up with. Like anything in life, starting a small business was a learning experience. Initially, I made mistakes. With each mistake I made, I got better. As time passed I added wine glasses with decals on them. The biggest jump was adding sweatshirts and t-shirts. These items I can make thanks to my Cricut machine. My advice to anyone wanting to start a business is to have patience. The Cricut machine will test your patience unlike anything else. But as each day goes by, you will learn a little more. 

I have a place in my home where I work on the business. This room is referred to as the loft, with a massive window of sunlight always shining through. I have seen the sun set and the moon rise on long days. It is also my favorite place to listen to the Drama Queens podcast. I’ve had various conversations with customers and do all my packing and shipping here.  

Made By Lara Spencer would not be what it has become today without the constant support from my mom. She helps me package all of my items and beyond. Something I have loved about my business are my frequent trips to my local post offices. I am always there and I’ve enjoyed talking to the employees. Sometimes they’ve mentioned, “the usual?” for the way I ship my items. Or have given me advice on where to get cheap boxes. More often than not, I am running in at 4:50pm, 10 minutes before they close. Hey, I am a busy college student. I do some things at the last minute. I’m probably listening to Tyler Hilton on my way, his music is frequently featured throughout One Tree Hill. 

The most gratifying part of my business thus far was working with Friends with Benefit-Charity Events. I made “Naley ” bracelets for their non-profit organization which were sold at their most recent One Tree Hill charity event. To know items I created were being sold at Tric, as featured on One Tree Hill in Wilmington, North Carolina was the most mind blowing thought. Little did I know that wanting to create these bracelets would lead me this far. I’ve come to find the best creative experiences usually happen on a whim. 

I am constantly thinking about new ways to elevate Made By Lara Spencer. I am so grateful for the creative outlet as well as the opportunities to connect with so many people. Currently, I have had 675 sales and counting. The kindness I receive from reviews excites and encourages me to keep moving forward. Corrine said, “This seller was AMAZING! The shirt was shipped later than she felt like it should have been (but still in a reasonable amount of time) and to compensate she added a free Naley bracelet to my order. She went above and beyond to show great customer service and her communication was great every step of the way. I highly recommend this seller!” In reference to her Tree Hill, North Carolina sweatshirt. 

Danielle said, “The item is PERFECT and Lara was incredibly nice and made sure I got my bracelet in time before I left for Wilmington! THANK YOU LARA!!!”

I have even done custom orders which have been super fun, “The shop owner is absolutely amazing, so friendly, and easy to work with. I asked for a custom Toddler OTH bracelet, and it was made and received in the mail in less than a week! Love this bracelet,” acan2468 said in a review. 

Tori also left an amazing review. “Excellent product! Looks identical to pictures- actually looks even better than pictures! Great quality, excellent quality & fast shipper!!” she said. I make sure every product I create is something I would want to receive in the mail. 

My latest exciting venture is working with a business in Wilmington, North Carolina, where the bracelet was born. If you are stopping through, you can find that very “Naley” bracelet at Krazy Mikez on Front Street. I knew this product needed a home in Wilmington, the place where it was born. 

Owning a small business is no easy task. A lot of effort is necessary and I hold myself to a very high standard. I want to give my customers the best item possible, always. My phone is always on, ready to answer any questions, comments, or concerns. I am constantly thinking of new items I can create. It is endlessly rewarding. This has given me the ability to work from home while finishing my Bachelor’s degree. 

If you are in college and have ideas for a small business, I encourage you to go for it. You never know where it could take you. I never imagined I would’ve worked with a company from my favorite television show or a business from my favorite town. And when it feels like things aren’t going as fast as you want, keep pushing, you will be successful with your hard work and dedication.

Lara Thebold

Stony Brook '23

Lara Thebold is a senior at Stony Brook University studying Mass Communications. She loves pop culture, One Tree Hill and Taylor Swift.