What I Learned Unplugging for Two Weeks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Pulling up to my uncle’s house covered in a layer of river water and dirt, I came back to reality feeling out of place. I spent the last 14 days riding in a couple of oar and paddle boats down the Colorado River with 22 other people, including my uncle who works as a tour guide. We had camped and explored the Grand Canyon for two weeks straight, leaving behind all technology and some of the comforts of our daily lives. I learned a lot in choosing to work with my uncle on this trip, and I wouldn’t take back a single moment. I mean seriously, I wish I could go back and relive a couple of them.

I’ve been taking daily conveniences for granted.

Let me tell you about what we on river called the “Groover”. This was a metal box that everybody used to go number two. I know, foul. There was no flushing anything away, and there was no sink you walk right over to. Instead you got a water pump and some soap, and you dried your hands off on your t-shirt. It sounds icky but I couldn’t complain when I was surrounded by such a scenic backdrop. By the first 3 days, I was over it. Another adjustment was not have a sink at my convenience. When I brushed my teeth, I poured clean water over my toothbrush, spit into the river, and rinsed from a water bottle.

Putting down technology makes way for real connections.

Yeah two weeks is not a long time, but when every distraction is cut out and you’re living and exploring with 22 other people, there’s plenty of room for bonding. I will cherish these people forever, and the friendships we made were authentic and raw. We had near death experiences together, we jumped off of cliffs together, we hiked on thin trails together, we went through hardships on the river together. This wasn’t a resort vacation kinda trip, it was real. These people came from all over the country, and from all different backgrounds. Without our phones, we had much more time to communicate and socialize.

Life is short, just breathe.

Are you rolling your eyes at one of the most cliche lines? I would, too, but going on a trip like this made me realize these three words. Being away from all the clutter of everyday microstressors opened my mind to pay attention to what is going through my mind, mainly overthinking. I came out a much less anxious person. I realized that not everything is so serious, and focusing on the past only tampers with the potential of the future (geez I sound so corny). But, you get the gist. Things work out for a reason and life is happening for you, not to you.

There’s no need to focus on material and societal expectations as much.

Being on the river, I realized I didn’t want to spend time making sure I looked my best. I’m not saying that getting ready and pampering yourself is unnecessary because I love a good manicure and fleek makeup. That’s not my point. I learned to love myself without effort, and to embrace any flaws I would’ve hated to let people see. I didn’t spend everyday making sure my legs were hairless, and I never had a mirror to “fix” myself.

Just a couple of things I learned while being ~one~ with nature I wanted to share. I hope you take away some good ol’ lessons from my experience down in the Colorado River.

Hailey Greif

Stony Brook '20

Hailey is a junior studying at Stony Brook University to receive her bachelors degree in Psychology with a concentration in Marketing. She is hoping to move onto grad school to receive her doctorate in I-O Psychology. Fingers crossed for this gal. She was born and raised on Long Island, NY.
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.