What I Learned from Frida Kahlo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

While celebrating National Hispanic Heritage last month, I decided that I wanted to bring a role idol of mine into the spotlight. Frida Kahlo has inspired, taught and helped shape me into who I am now.

Do Not Hide Yourself from Controversial Topics When observing Frida’s art, I notice her express her views on sexuality, abortion, birth, miscarriage, motherhood and breastfeeding. In her time, speaking out about these topics was as if you were committing a crime. Today, even with how different society is, these topics are still sensitive. However, she made me realize that these topics shouldn’t be hidden away because they are important to discuss in the lives of women. I will not make my body disappear in order to make someone comfortable because it is my body and I will do what I want with it.

Wear Whatever the Hell You Want and Make it Work Frida shifted between looking feminine and masculine, not just with her physical features, but also with her choice of style. When taking a family photo she decided to wear a suit despite her sisters` and mother’s lovely dresses. She simply did not care about what it is that makes her a “woman.” Frida made it okay to still be a woman despite your attire. Your clothing should not declare your femininity. She would still wear her colorful skirts and vibrant flowers in her hair. I wear men’s clothing too, which does not make me any less of a woman. Other than the fact that it is comfortable, I thank her for expressing whatever fashion she wanted so that I don’t have to feel ashamed for what it is I like to wear.

Screw Beauty StandardsFrida taught me that having non-traditional hair shouldn’t make you feel any less beautiful than you are now. Frida embraced her eyebrows, she even said it was a favorite feature of herself. She loved them so much that she would make them even darker to stand out. She doesn’t stand for being pretty, dainty and hairless. She was fierce, she wanted to make people see that she is expressing herself and that you will accept it. I used to not enjoy having dark hair, but Frida has helped me learn to accept it and make things easier for myself. Learning that Frida put heavy emphasis on her eyebrows in her paintings has influenced me to darken my own eyebrows as well.

Be Open with Yourself and Your Sexuality Although being married to the unfaithful Diego Rivera, Frida liked both men and women and was open about it. In a time where homosexuality and bisexuality were shunned upon, Frida showed her sexuality with no apologies and no regrets. She got up and did her own thing, she had her own affairs with the same gender and enjoyed it. She let me know that it is perfectly fine to like who you want and be with them regardless of their gender, as long as it makes you happy.

Frida Kahlo marched to the beat of her own drum, not caring about what anyone had to say to her. She was definitely her own person, a genuine work of art and would do as she pleased. Although she did not come out in the open and call herself a Feminist, she still put her mark on the modern Feminist of today’s society. She’s inspired myself and many other women to simply just not give a damn about gender roles and to love and accept ourselves immensely.

Viva la revolución de las mujeres! 

Julitza Zapata

Stony Brook '18

Julitza is one comic book loving, video game fanatic and makeup enthusiast that's willing to share her stories/experiences and favorite things with everyone. Currently in her final year at Stony Brook she's excited to see where the future will take her and what's in store.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor