Top 10 Heartbreak Songs That Will Make You Bring Out a Box of Tissues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Have you ever been sad and decided to listen to sad music to try and make things better? Well, personally, I do that all of the time. I think that we do this sometimes because it’s nice to know that other people can relate to your experiences. Growing up, you might have listened to some of these sad, heartbreaking songs even if you didn’t have an experience to relate it to. Maybe you’re just a hopeless romantic. Either way, these ten songs below will certainly make you bring out a box of tissues, and are most definitely relatable situations.

1. “Changes” by XXXTENTACION

Although the song “Changes” is very repetitive, it offers a sad and heartbroken tone. The song is about a person giving fake love to the other, and leaving one of them heartbroken. “My heart can’t take this damage,” refers to a person’s heart not being able to survive and move on, after it has been damaged, or in other words, heartbroken. The low piano featured in the song adds to the sadness, making it a song you can listen to over and over again to really let the lyrics sink into your head.

2. “Hold On” by SHEL and Gareth Dunlop

If you’ve watched “The Best of Me,” a Nicholas Sparks movies that all hopeless romantics should see, then you know this song. Although “Hold On” is not that much of a popular song, it speaks to those lovers who are waiting for their special someone to come. Have you ever been impatient waiting for that person to love you back, or waiting for there to stop being obstacles between you two? “Every doubt screams where are you

and every moment waiting makes the day harder to get through,” refers to a person wondering where the person that has their heart is, and why they aren’t with them at the moment.

3. “Still In Love” by Thirdstory

While the original version is just as amazing, the acoustic version allows you to feel more of the pain entailed in the song. “Still In Love” refers to all of those people who have called their relationship quits and are know trying to move on, but find themselves still in love with the person. It refers to the people who have that hopeless feeling of wondering what could happen if the two got together again, or if the person had an opportunity to see their ex again. It speaks to the people who are still helplessly and desperately in love. “And if you want the truth, I’m still in love with you. No matter what I do, I’m still in love with you,” refers to a person who is trying everything they can do to move on, but still seems to have that one person on their mind.

4. “Love Again” by Ta-ku featuring JMSN and Sango

You probably have never even heard of this group before, I doubt you have hear this song. This song is heartfelt and conveys the message of “I’m sorry.” It begins with notes from the piano and then goes into “Give it time, give it time, cause this ain’t no race no,” referring to giving a relationship time to grow and heal. This song goes out to all of those people that are trying to fix a broken relationship. It can also go out to the people who are in love with someone, but either something is getting in the way of the two, or the time is not perfect. The words “Who says something is better than nothing” refers to the common saying “Nothing’s something,” meaning that maybe staying together may not be the best option, and maybe breaking up is better than constantly trying to work out, when it clearly won’t. Confusing right? Just like relationships sometimes can be.

5. “Leave Your Lover” by Sam Smith

Sam Smith is a perfect example of heartbroken songs. Have you ever been in love or had a crush on someone who you can’t have? Have you had to watch them be with someone when you want them to yourself? It’s hard. “Leave Your Lover” refers to that image, the image of wanting that person to leave their significant other that you want, for you. In this song, Sam Smith speaks to the person his lover is with, the person that gets to be with the person he wants at the moment. “You’ll never know the endless nights, the rhyming of the rain, or how it feels to fall behind and watch you call his name,” refers to all the time spent wishing he was with the person he loves, and all of the times he has had to hide his true feelings and just watch him be with another. Listen to this, if this has happened to you, sometimes it’s nice to know you’re not the only one.

6. “Not In That Way” by Sam Smith

To continue with Sam Smith, this song is about being in love with a person and being scared to tell them, because you don’t know how they will react. You don’t know if they will love you the same, or simply, just not in that way. “I’d never ask you cause deep down I’m certain I know what you’d say,” refers to the act of not telling a person how you truly feel because of being afraid of the outcome. Sometimes you should take a chance and let them know how you truly feel, because maybe that one time it really will be in that way.

7. “Stone Cold” by Demi Lovato

Stone cold. Stone cold. You hear these two words repeatedly throughout the song. “Stone Cold” is about being left heartbroken and about trying to be happy for the person that broke your heart. The song seems to be wishing the ex the best in another relationship, even though they want their ex to be theirs again. The words “stone cold” are a metaphor for numb emotions, meaning the person feels cold or bitter towards the ex who is happy with another person. “I’ll take the pain, give me the truth. Me and my heart, we’ll make it through. If happy is her, I’m happy for you,” means that she is facing the truth that they aren’t together anymore and that he’s happy in his new relationship. Sometimes the truth does set you free and allows you to grieve and eventually move on. This song is perfect for when another person has taken your spot in your ex’s life and you feel a type of way about it. It happens.

8. “Jealous” by Labrinth

Have you ever been jealous? Jealous of the way they hold the person you want? This song is for those who miss that person that they once had in their lives. For those that wish they could be with them. For those wishing that they were still in their lives. In this song, Labrinth is clearly jealous of everything and anything that gets close to the one that got away. “It’s hard for me to say, I’m jealous of the way you’re happy without me,” refers to the fact that it may be hard to admit to yourself that you miss that person, but deep down you truly want to be that person that makes them happy.

9. “The Night We Met” by Lord Huron

Any 13 Reasons Why fans? You’ll know this song from Clay and Hannah dancing to it at the dance. This song if for those who have lost their special someone, or miss the night they met. “The Night We Met” is about looking back at a relationship that maybe wasn’t the best, but wanting to go back to the beginning of the relationship and maybe never getting involved in the first place. The song is full of regret and “what ifs,” showing the heartache that comes along with lost love, or love that was an almost.  “I had all and then most of you, some and now none of you,” refers to the gradual deterioration of the relationship, making sense as to why they would’ve changed things if the singer went back to the night they met. This song is for the people who are still haunted by the memories they have spent with a person they used to love.

10. “Impossible” by James Arthur

This version isn’t the original, but has even more rawness and emotion. This song is a heartbreak ballad, and talks about the aftermath of a broken relationship and drawing the strength to move on past it. This song is saying that the singer thought it would be impossible for them to have their heartbroken, and are realizing everything that wasn’t right in their relationship. “I remember years ago someone told me I should take caution when it comes to love, I did,” refers to the warning that he was told saying that you need to be careful with love, but instead he met the person and forgot, and dove right in, and ended up heartbroken instead.

I am an energetic, bubbly and outgoing girl who enjoys everything about the arts. You can find me singing or dancing or twirling batons with the Spirit of Stony Brook Marching Band at SBU. I am an aspiring journalist and I have interned at the Freeport Herald on Long Island and am a writer for the Statesman. I love The Office, Friends and Gossip Girl.
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.