Tiffany and Torrye Zullo: “Without my family, I would definitely not be close to the person I am today”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Name: Torrye Zullo

Year: Sophomore

Major: Political Science, Writing Minor

Hometown: Ronkonkoma, NY

Name: Tiffany Zullo

Year: Sophomore

Major: Sociology, Health Science Track

Hometown: Ronkonkoma, NY

When did you start playing lacrosse?

Torrye: “When I was in second grade.”

Tiffany: “Second grade.”

What’s it like to have your twin on the same team as you? How have you been able to balance your schedule between lacrosse and school?

Torrye: “I honestly love having a twin on the team, it made the transition from high school to college much easier because I had someone I could always talk to. Lacrosse and school are hard to balance, but I have trained myself to do my work in advance so I never fall behind.”

Tiffany: “Having my twin on the lacrosse team with me is a dream come true. She truly is my best friend. Even though we fight all the time, I know I always have someone who will have my back no matter what. Balancing my schedule between lacrosse and school is hard, but having a place like Goldstein to study at all the time and getting tutors is a lifesaver.”

What are the best and worst parts of having your twin at the same school as you? Do either of you believe that having your twin sister at the same school has made an impact on your identity here?

Torrye: “The best part is that I am able to have my best friend here with me, to have someone that knows everything about me and what I’ve been through. The worst part is how we are always compared to one another, especially in regards to how we do in school and lacrosse. I think being a twin has definitely allowed us to make more friends. We make our individual friends but then are brought together with each other’s friends as we are introduced, as ‘This is my twin.'”

Tiffany: “Best part about having Torrye at the same school as me is she can help me with my homework because she’s smarter. Worst part is we fight sometimes and don’t really have a chance to get away from each other. I don’t think it has impacted our identities here because we are totally different people and always have been, which is pretty cool.”

What’s the dumbest question you guys get asked about being twins?

Torrye: “’Are you guys really twins?’”

Tiffany: “’Are you guys identical?’ As you can see we look nothing alike. Or they don’t believe us and make us show them our IDs.” 

What is your favorite accomplishment at Stony Brook, so far?

Torrye: “My favorite accomplishment of being at Stony Brook so far would definitely have to be being on the lacrosse team. The lacrosse team has helped me grow so much individually and as an athlete. My freshman year we were ranked as high as fourth in the nation, and knowing I was part of that team is an accomplishment that I will never truly be able to explain.”

Tiffany: “My favorite accomplishment at Stony Brook so far is getting all my homework done. Oh, and lacrosse. I am so happy to be a part of a team here at Stony Brook. It was an amazing feeling winning the America East last season and making it into the NCAA tournament. I can’t wait until this upcoming season. We have a lot of talented players and I believe we can and will go far.”

What kind of legacy do you hope to leave behind? Who do you think has helped you and inspired you most along the way?

Torrye: “When I graduate, I want people to remember me as someone who always helped out, and made the people around me better. My favorite quote is ‘Be somebody that makes everybody feel like a somebody.’ I want to be that person, and that’s the legacy I hope to leave at Stony Brook University. My family is my biggest inspiration. They have always been there to push me to do my best and support me in anything I’ve wanted to accomplish. Without my family, I would definitely not be close to the person I am today.”

Tiffany: “I hope to influence people to work hard and go after everything because no matter what, time keeps moving and once you’re done with college there’s no going back. As far as who inspired me along the way, write what Torrye put for that.”

- -

Stony Brook

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor